RE: [TR] cylinder head quesitons - Stag/ TR7/ Dolomite

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] cylinder head quesitons - Stag/ TR7/ Dolomite
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 13:09:26 -0700
> With the cam out, I noticed some scoring on the cam and the
> cylinder head,
> at the 2nd from front anchor point as well as some wear on
> the casting of
> the first anchor point Which is causing some play.  Is any
> play in this area
> normal? I'm assuming not.  If I take it to a shop for
> machining, what do
> they do?

The right way to fix it is to line-bore the head for bearing inserts.  I'm
not sure where to find inserts offhand, but I've got an old note saved that
says Paddocks sell them.

>  Is my cam reusable?

Depends on how much damage it has sustained.  If only one journal is
damaged, it may be cost-effective to have it welded up and remachined.  Or
it may even be possible to source undersize bearing inserts (meaning the cam
could be ground undersize), but again I don't know where.

> I've managed to make so much process, I'm assuming changing
> the valves and
> beddinging them in by myself, should be a relatively simple task.

I've heard from several sources that "bedding in" valves is a bad idea.  The
thinking is that in operation, the valve head will get hotter than the seat,
and so expand more.  Thus the bedded surfaces no longer match.  Some sources
even say to grind the seats & valves to a very slightly different angle, to
improve sealing.

But honestly, I've never noticed any difference whether I lapped them in or
not, so YMMV.

Randall

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may
contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its
affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to
third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail
to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic
mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying
of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

===     http://www.vtr.org