[TR] Brake MC & Bleeding Questions.

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Brake MC & Bleeding Questions.
From: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 17:02:58 -0400
I decided against rebuilding the Brake MC and opted to buy a new one so, of
course, I have some questions:
1. What is the purpose of the plastic tag around the MC? I've seen this on
other TRs too. Mine is embossed as follows: 8822 07 60/40 57MA
2. Should I use the red rubber grease on the MC and Servo rubber pieces
(where they mate) before attaching them together?
3. Is the red rubber grease available at the local NAPA? Huh Rick
Patton...huh...huh.. :-)
4. I'm considering converting to DOT5 silicone fluid so what's the best way
to flush the system? I've read where you open one bleed nipple and use low
air pressure to blow it out and then repeat at each wheel. With this
technique can you blow from the two pipes that attach to the MC or do you
have to do this after the PDWA.
5. After the old fluid is out, Haynes says to flush the system with mineral
oil. Nelson Riedel's article doesn't mention flushing the system after
purging it of DOT3/4 fluid.
6. Haynes says that after filling the reservoir you open the bleed valve on
one wheel and pump, close it and move to another wheel etc. They say that as
long as you don't pump the brakes between closing one valve and opening
another, you won't have to reset the PDWA. Does this hold true even if
you've drained all fluid from the system to convert to DOT5.
7. How do you know if the PDWA needs to be re-centered? What are the signs?
8 Last and MOST important.....can I put the towels used to mop up the DOT3
in the washing machine or should I just toss them?

As always..... Thanks for any advice.

Bob

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U