Re: [TR] Brake MC & Bleeding Questions.

To: 75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Brake MC & Bleeding Questions.
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 22:34:02 -0400
  See answers below.....
    Aaron Cropley
 71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)
 http://www.triumphowners.com/108
 Topsham, Maine
 -----Original Message-----
 From: 75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org
 To: triumphs@autox.team.net
 Sent: Mon, 7 May 2007 5:02 PM
 Subject: [TR] Brake MC & Bleeding Questions.

  I decided against rebuilding the Brake MC and opted to buy a new one so, of
course, I have some questions:
1. What is the purpose of the plastic tag around the MC? I've seen this on
other TRs too. Mine is embossed as follows: 8822 07 60/40 57MA

Not sure...I just left mine on.  Identifying tag?  Looks cool?

?2. Should I use the red rubber grease on the MC and Servo rubber pieces
(where they mate) before attaching them together?

I used the rubber grease when I rebuilt my MC and since I had some I used some

?on the surfaces of the MC that would be covered when the MC was installed,

just as a means to inhibit rust from forming on the bare metal surfaces. I am

not sure if it helped at all since I havent had it apart since I replaced it.?

3. Is the red rubber grease available at the local NAPA? Huh Rick
Patton...huh...huh.. :-)

I couldnt find the stuff at NAPA so I did a Google search for it and bought it
at

a small LBC parts supplier online....no, no idea who it was.

?4. I'm considering converting to DOT5 silicone fluid so what's the best way
to flush the system? I've read where you open one bleed nipple and use low
air pressure to blow it out and then repeat at each wheel. With this
technique can you blow from the two pipes that attach to the MC or do you
have to do this after the PDWA.

Others may have differing opinions but I replaced the MC, put in the new DOT5,

and then just bled the system until the purple stuff ran true.

5. After the old fluid is out, Haynes says to flush the system with mineral
oil. Nelson Riedel's article doesn't mention flushing the system after
purging it of DOT3/4 fluid.

See answer to question 4.

?6. Haynes says that after filling the reservoir you open the bleed valve on
one wheel and pump, close it and move to another wheel etc. They say that as
long as you don't pump the brakes between closing one valve and opening
another, you won't have to reset the PDWA. Does this hold true even if
you've drained all fluid from the system to convert to DOT5.

In my humble opinion, just expect to reset the PDWA when you are done.  It

really is quite simple and will only take less than 5 minutes anyways.

?7. How do you know if the PDWA needs to be re-centered? What are the signs?

Most likely the brake light on the dash will be on when you are done.  You can

always just remove the switch off the PDWA and look in with a flashlight or feel

with a awl, or other appropriate tool.

?8 Last and MOST important.....can I put the towels used to mop up the DOT3
in the washing machine or should I just toss them?

Toss them.

Cheers,

Aaron

?As always..... Thanks for any advice.