[TR] inaccessible fender nuts w/broken bolts

To: "list Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] inaccessible fender nuts w/broken bolts
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 09:16:27 -0400
List,
What methods have folks used to remove a partial bolt from a caged nut on a
TR3 fender?  When I removed my rear fenders I used a sawzall to cut through
the bolt without 'touching' the body or fender.  Now as I wish to replace the
bolt, I am somewhat puzzled as to the approach I'll take.  As I see it:
1. I'm gonna try to weld something to the end and try to screw it out of the
cage nut, or
2. Drill a hole in the sliced-crossection of the bolt and use a 'BACKMEOUT
(?)' to unscrew it.  (Do those things work?  I never have had success with a
backmeout?)
3.  With my sawzall, I'll slice through the cage and 'free' the nut and
broken-off bolt.
4.  Use a 1/4" bit (or smaller) to drill out the broken bolt.

ANY OTHER IDEAS?

Remind you, the caged side of these undisturbed nuts/w/cages, is all but
inaccessible (although I can see them through the dog-leg.)

Thanks, Paul
60 TR3

===     http://www.vtr.org