Re: [TR] inaccessible fender nuts w/broken bolts

To: dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] inaccessible fender nuts w/broken bolts
From: MMoore8425@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 09:38:16 EDT
In a message dated 5/15/2007 6:16:45 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
dorpaul@negia.net writes:

List,
What methods have folks used to remove a partial bolt from a  caged nut on a
TR3 fender?  When I removed my rear fenders I used a  sawzall to cut through
the bolt without 'touching' the body or  fender.  Now as I wish to replace the
bolt, I am somewhat puzzled as  to the approach I'll take.  As I see it:
1. I'm gonna try to weld  something to the end and try to screw it out of the
cage nut, or
2.  Drill a hole in the sliced-crossection of the bolt and use a  'BACKMEOUT
(?)' to unscrew it.  (Do those things work?  I never  have had success with a
backmeout?)
3.  With my sawzall, I'll slice  through the cage and 'free' the nut and
broken-off bolt.
4.  Use a  1/4" bit (or smaller) to drill out the broken  bolt.

Paul,
My plan of attack would be the following. Its a miserable job no matter  what:

1. Make sure the nut/bolt get plenty of  penetrating oil and let it  soak for
a while.

2. I would carefully center punch the broken off bolt.

3. Patiently drill a small hole in the center of the bolt. BE VERY CAREFUL
THAT YOU DON'T BREAK A DRILL. IF YOU DO, YOU ARE DOOMED BECAUSE THE DRILL BIT
IS  TOO HARD TO DO ANYTHING MUCH WITH.

4. Keep drilling the hole bigger with larger drills.

5. Try an EZ out. My success rate is very low.

6.You may start the caged nut rotating, so you are limited in how hard you
can torque the EZout.

7. I have sometimes drilled with larger drills until I can go in with a
punch and collapse the cylindrical remains of the bolt into the hole and then
twist it out

8. I have also been able to use a tap and get a reasonable thread after I
drilled the hole up to tap drill size.

===     http://www.vtr.org