RE: [TR] TR3 steering noise

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3 steering noise
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 00:00:26 -0700
> Unless it's necessary, I'm not that keen on taking the
> steering apart again to isolate each part, so any suggestions
> or tips on what could be causing it would really be
> appreciated.

My guess would be a bent center link causing a silentbloc to bind.  But
that's just a WAG.

Get one of those magic pullers we've mentioned before, they make
disconnecting joints a snap.

>  Also, does anyone know if there a rule of thumb
> for a starting point in adjusting the steering box, like
> maybe turning the adjusting bolt in completely then backing
> off so many flats?

First step is to back it off completely, then get the end float set exactly
to zero.  If any end float is present it will mess up the setting of the top
screw, and lack of end float will cause heavy steering.

Then, preferably on the bench, but at least with the silentbloc disconnected
from the Pitman arm, center the box and turn the adjustment screw in with
your fingers (only) until it stops.  Turn the input shaft with your fingers
(not with the steering wheel), looking for any binding whatsoever.  Correct
adjustment is when you can just barely feel the increase in torque as the
steering goes through center.  Or, if your worm is as badly worn as mine is,
when it passes from the worn spot in the center to the relatively unworn
spot off to the side.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org