[TR] tr3 'WINGING IT' QUESTIONS

To: "list Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] tr3 'WINGING IT' QUESTIONS
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 23:37:04 -0400
For my TR3's fender reinstallation, I have purchased a stainless Rear Fender
Hardware Kit from Macy's Garage.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=ST
RK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130111198200&rd=1,1  Although this superb set is
intended for the restorer; i am gonna 'wing-it' with my other 3 wings AND
apron.

QUESTION 1. Are all fender and apron attachment bolts and nuts size 1/4" 28
tpi?
QUESTION 2.  I am hoping that 3/4" length bolts can be made workable, is this
true?
I've only started removing the right rear fender bolts; but I don't think I
successfully followed anyone's suggestion as to how to remove these fender
nuts.  Unfortunatly, 1 nut pulled thru the body's thin sheetmetal as I
attempted to unscrew it's rusted and painted over bolt.  After this cut-off
bolt and nut came bursting out of it's captive nut retainer, a tablespoon of
rust/dirt also came out of it's retainer situated at the top of the rear
fender's curve.  I think I'll pack the nut back followed by repairing the
hidden sheet metal.

I was also forced to deal with the several cut-off-flush bolts recessed inside
of the fender since I couldn't get at the 'backside' of any of these nuts.
Like several folks suggested, I attempted to take a punch to indent the center
of the 1/4" bolt, in order that a drill bit would not drift on me.  However,
when I hit the bolt, the impact caused one end of the captive nut retainer to
turn loose and practically swing out of sight as the other end of the welded
captive nut retainer remained stuck to the car body in a inaccessible location
on the backside-inside of the body.  I haven't figured out yet how these nuts
will be repositioned, much less than how they'll be retapped with my tap & die
set.
    Strangely enough, none of these captive nuts were 'loose' inside thier
'prison cells'.  And when it came time to 'chase their threads, it was as if
the nut were 'welded' to the inside of the fender.  I wonder if this
'non-floating' nut will creat fender mounting problems.
QUESTION 3.  I thought the captive nut were suppose to move slightly in the
retainer--what's up with this?

tia, Paul Dorsey
60 TR3a

===     http://www.vtr.org