[TR] More on rotors

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] More on rotors
From: "Tom Note" <tom628@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 00:22:57 -0400
i installed new plugs on the TR6 last nite, and planned to drive it this AM.
When I tried to start it , it cranked but wouldn't fire. I popped the dist.
cap, and found the rotor in pieces. Echlin EP44; less than 1k miles.
I had removed the dist. cap for easier access to a couple of the plugs, so
the obvious conclusion was that I had put the cap back on off center, or
improperly seated, causing interference with the rotor. However, I examined
the cap carefully, and there is no evidence of any contact with any of the
plug terminals. No scratches, dents,etc. No dings on the rotor either.
Everything is unscratched and looks, essentially , brand new. It looks like
it just failed from a stress crack in the plastic molding, if that's
possible. (BTW, I had not removed /repaced the rotor during this procedure.)
Anyway, I put my old Lucas back-up rotor on and it started right up, and I
went to the local NAPA and ordered another Echlin rotor. I'm assuming it was
a fluke.
Just thought I'd pass it along.

Tom

===     http://www.vtr.org