RE: [TR] TR3 Waterpump rebuild

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3 Waterpump rebuild
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 09:48:48 -0700
> But 45 years ago we weren't the throw-away culture we are today
> so were there ever rebuild kits available for these pumps,
> and if so why not now?

Definitely used to be kits available.  But the bearings need to be in the
kit, and the original bearings are a strange size that is no longer made.
Several people have searched high and low for replacement bearings, but
AFAIK no one has found one that will fit in the housing without machining
the housing.

Even if a bearing maker could be persuaded to make a run of the right size
bearings, the resulting kit would undoubtedly cost significantly more than a
new water pump, and hence sell poorly.  Plus, I wonder how many cars are
left with the original water pumps ?  I'll bet those cheap repros they've
been selling for the past 40 years or so don't take the same bearings ...
most of them don't even have removable pulleys.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org