Re: [TR] Tight Steering

To: "wbeech" <wbeech@flash.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [TR] Tight Steering
From: "Nolan" <foxtrapper@ispwest.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 06:10:41 -0400
Wheels come to mind initially.  If you've gone aftermarket on the wheels,
and have changed the offset, you can drastically change the force required
to turn the steering wheel.

Otherwise, jack the car again, but put jack stands under the a-arms to get
the suspension in the on-the-road positions, and then check the steering for
stiffness.  If it's supple, the problem is with the tires, re-the above
paragraph.

You can also create a stiff(er) steering with oversize tires, and very
sticky tires.  Generically, skinny tires made from hard rubber rotate on the
pavement pretty easily.  Wider tires with sticky compounds don't rotate as
easily, especially the sections of the tire further out from the center of
rotation.