Re: [TR] Use of Polyurethane Bushings

To: rgperry@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Use of Polyurethane Bushings
From: MMoore8425@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 21:34:17 EDT
In a message dated 5/30/2007 2:00:19 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
rgperry@earthlink.net writes:

Has  anybody considered the effect of using polyurethane bushings on the
suspension  (frame) mounts or suspension arms?  Are there any occurrences of
suspension failure due to using polyurethane bushings?  I have read were
modern
cars have stamped control arms that may twist when using polyurethane
bushings. I have polyurethane bushings on my TR6.

Inquiring minds want  to know!  Any thoughts?

Greg Perry

Gregg, once upon convinced I myself that urethane upper control arm  bushings
in a TR3 COULD make it harder to steer and I didn't use them for  that
reason.

If the upright to which the spindle is attached is not very closely  aligned
with the turning axes,  colinerar  within a hundred though or  so, when you
steer the car, you force lateral motion in the upper  control arm. The amount
of
force it requires to turn then is directly  proportional to how stiff the
bushings are.
I was fortunate at the time in having access to a large number of  uprights/
spindles. We measured them all and most were all pretty sorry in  that there
was a lot of eccentricity.(We measured by chucking one turning axis  in a lathe
and watching the other as we rotated the part). My theory was  that those
cars would be harder to steer, especially with hard  bushings.

Best, Mike Moore

===     http://www.vtr.org