Re: [TR] temp gauge

To: KingR44916@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] temp gauge
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 07:58:48 EDT
In a message dated 5/31/2007 6:35:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
KingR44916@aol.com writes:
> just replaced my sending unit and after a few min the gauge goes all the
> way
> to hot and the car isn't overheating is there a way to see if the gauge is
> working properly i put in a new thermostat also
> .hoe can i check the voltage regulator .all help appreciated

When you say all the way to hot are you saying all the way to the right side
of the gauge?  The typical symptom of a bad voltage stabilizer is a high
reading, not a full scale reading.  If this is your problem I suspect you got
the
wrong sending unit.  Try and locate another sender and try that.

If it is just going into the low side of HOT then you may indeed have a bad
voltage stabilizer.  If you have a test light touch the light green wire and
you should see the light flash on and off.  If you have a volt meter you should
see the voltage reading switching between battery voltage and zero.  The
flashing should be about one-second for an ON/OFF cycle.  The typical failure
mode
for the stabilizer is always on.

BTW a bad ground will cause the stabilizer not to regulate so be sure it is
well grounded if you do find a nonoperating stabilizer.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org