Re: [TR] POR in engine bay?

To: Mark Hooper <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] POR in engine bay?
From: Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 05:20:11 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Mark,

To answer your questions:

1.  In my experience, you should be OK to use POR in the area your speaking of
- limited exposure to the sun should have any effect on the POR, at worst it
seems to get a yellow/green hue to the black with prolonged exposure to UV
rays.

2.  POR makes a stripper especially for removing POR that is very effective.
My understanding is it's the same as the 'aircraft stripper' that you can buy
at auto parts stores, but I'm not sure of that.

3.  Whatever you do, don't try to sand the POR - I did once with a grinder and
a flapper wheel and all I managed to do was clog it up big time.

Raymond

--- Mark Hooper <mhooper@digiscreen.ca> wrote:

> I'm tidying up my TR6's engine bay. Specifically everything forward of the
> radiator. I bought a nice radiator shroud at the Beaconsfield British Car
> Show
> last Sunday. Of course, now I've been hit by shipwright's disease. I realised
> that I had never painted the inner valence during the rebuild. So now having
> removed turn signals, grill and various othe elements all set to paint. I
> have
> a pot of POR15 semi-gloss black  and a pot of Tremclad semi-gloss black. You
> might infer from this that my engine bay is black. Semi-gloss yet. I have had
> occasional yearnings to strip the whole lot and get it to the red my car is
> painted. This might or might not happen as the new triple Strombergs and
> alloy
> valv cover look quite good in a silver and black layout. So the questions
> are:
>
> 1 - Will POR be okay with the indirect light in the engine bay nose. i.e. it
> won't turn grey or something like that.
>
> 2 - If I want to in the future, how hard is it to strip off?
>
> If it's not the right stuff then I will just use the simple tremclad and see
> what happens over time.
>
> Mark
> 1972 TR6

The fish are biting.