Re: [TR] Interesting cooling system web page

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Interesting cooling system web page
From: nwolf@u.washington.edu
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:25:43 -0700 (PDT)
>> 2. Slower-flowing water is better.

   I can think of two scenarios in which an increase in water flow rate might
have a detrimental effect on cooling:

1. The higher speed creates eddies or backwaters in areas that would otherwise
flow continuously, or
2. The extra heat produced by the motor laboring to push the water faster
exceeds the cooling benefit of the increased flow.

   Both seem fairly plausible.  In fact, #2 HAS to happen at some point because
cooling rate is an aymptotic function of flow speed, while the energy required
to pump is closer to an exponential.
   So... slow is bad AND fast is bad.  Must be an optimal flow speed somewhere
in the middle, different for every car.  Maybe the Tiger's optimum speed is
actually somewhere near the stock configuration.
   On the other hand, as Randall pointed out, they didn't actually MEASURE flow
speed, only inferred it... so, who knows?

   Many apologies if this has already been covered (I'm in digest mode).

-Nick
64-ish TR4
Vancouver BC