[TR] Testing by dropping the car from 6" off the ground?

To: "list Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Testing by dropping the car from 6" off the ground?
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 22:51:45 -0400
I am writing this even though my ISP is experiencing problems so it maybe a
while before it gets sent.

I've asked basic welding questions before, but, after seeing a friend's car I
still have doubt in both my equipment (the welder is now broke) and doubt in
my welding skill.

In my TR3, I installed new floorpans, inner and outer sills, and patch panels
for the side-footwell panel and front-footwell panel which is just in front of
the pedals.  Although both A & B posts 'look ok' and have been adjusted for
the correct door gap, etc.   I wonder if there might be something I can do to
'test' my welds?

I wonder if it wouldn't be prudent to knock the car off a carefully positioned
jack at a height of 6 inches above the ground?  First this would be done to
the rear wheels and then done to the front wheels.

After performing such a radical 'drop' procedure, a close inspection of all
joints would be made. Do others think that dropping it from 6 inches is too
much or not enough? I am serious about this and want others input.   I am not
wanting to hurt the car, but, only to do a last-resort-type-test before it
gets put on the road.  (Although the complete welded-up car has sat outside my
house for over a year.)  It maybe 5-6 more months before it is street legal
and this would be done.)

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3