Re: [TR] Super/Turbo charging a TR 4 pot? (was Classic Motorsports

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Super/Turbo charging a TR 4 pot? (was Classic Motorsports
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 21:49:54 -0800
> Randall, with the greatest respect, I can't entirely agree
> with your comments about turbo lag.

No worries, John.  But if it took major automakers 20 years to deal with the
problem, what chance does the DIY have of dealing with it ?

Amusing story : Never having heard of the GTti, I Googled it ... the very
first link showed someone talking about replacing the clutch twice because
"turbo lag means you really have to ride the clutch ..." <G>
http://www.carsurvey.org/review_19409.html

I suppose I should have kept reading the literature as I'd really like to
know how they eliminated the problem (although one of the secrets may be
those tiny engines, which also use tiny turbochargers with less inertia to
overcome).

> But whether a turbo on a TR6 is a viable fitting, I would
> have my doubts.

Well, Moss seems to have done a respectable job with the TR6 supercharger;
and a turbocharger is just a particular type of supercharger.  In theory a
turbo is more efficient, because it gets at least some of it's energy by
recovering waste heat; and uses a more efficient (but high speed) turbine as
a compressor.  But translating that into improved performance still looks
tricky to me.

And someday I promise to try out that TR3 supercharger sitting in my garage

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net