Re: [TR] Hertz --- Rent a TR4A

To: <TR250Driver@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Hertz --- Rent a TR4A
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 02:57:33 -0000
Darrell Foyd wrote:
> The 18-city deal worked out okay for automatic two-seaters but  created
> a big problem for Triumph's warranty department in the gearbox  area.   Not
> too many Hertz customers were familiar with four  speeds."

Darrell, casting my mind back to my Export Sales days in London, I can confirm
Mike Cook's
statement. I'd go one step further in saying the majority of aspiring owners
from your side of the
pond weren't much good in the gearbox area either. I still wonder how long the
box in our 1968 US
spec demo car lasted after we sold it. Mostly, the gears were changed without
the clutch and I still
recall wincing when a lady wanting to buy that very car asked me, "what the
hell's that extra pedal
on the left for and why is this goddamned shifter making such a racket?" She
did buy it - and two
days later as I waved her off, she yelled, "you sure I'll get used to this
stick shift?"

Jonmac

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net