[TR] tired of tire stores

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] tired of tire stores
From: <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 16:55:07 -0500 (EST)
For the last month or so I've been chasing a problem with one or more tires on
the GT6.  Well actually, I've had all four of them on the GT6, but been at tire
shops chasing a tire problem.  One at least, probably the RF, is out of balance
and/or out of round.  At certain speeds I can see the RF of the bonnet hopping
up and down and feel it in the steering.  Eventually that side's latch will pop
open.

The trouble is, is that I don't have much time these days.  I have to squeeze
the calendar for such chores.  First I speak to the shop over the phone about
the problem, ask about their selections, what they suggest, etc.  Then I drive
over when I can.  That's when the frustration starts.

One shop tried to balance them, showed me how much hop one tire had (I think it
was the RF), pointed to an absurd amount of weight they had to add, blah blah
blah.  One shop had almost no selection (in either 155/80x13 or 175/70x13) even
though their website bragged about how they had everything.  The attendants
then have to tell me about how I need to worry about rust.  (Tell me more!)
Then they question the steering and bearing stability.  (Duh, I know the state
of the tie rod ends.  I've replaced them all recently.  And adjusted the
bearing play.)  Then they mistrust the chrome plating on the lug nuts.  Then
thoroughly mistrust the funny Triumph lugnuts with the washers to hold on the
spring-loaded hubcaps (which are no longer on the car).  Then they see the rear
wheel camber, especially on the Spitfire, and tell me I need to have them
aligned because those wheels are "kicked out".  The final straw is always that,
though they encourage walk-in business, I'll have to wait 9!
0 minutes before they can even get to my car and the promised 30min wait after
that will most certainly be another 90min.  I can't squeeze that tight.

You know, if I keep it under an indicated 65 (which is actually in the lower
60's), it's pretty smooth.  Maybe I'll just wait till spring.
--
Jim Muller
'70 GT6

http://www.vtr.org