Re: [TR] Replacing rear brake cyls.

To: "'TR List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Replacing rear brake cyls.
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 06:59:50 -0800
> I'm installing new rear brake cylinders in our 76 TR6, and
> having a difficult time getting the springy locking plates
> inserted between the backing plate and the cylinder with the
> E-brake lever blocking access.
> Anyone have any tips from personal experience in refitting
> these things?

Many of the books have an incorrect illustration of how the plates go; plus
I believe Bob has the sequence wrong.

What I do is leave the brake lever off while installing first the smallest
plate (with the open side away from the lever and the bent tips away from
the backing plate) and then the larger plate with the bent tips in the same
orientation (between the smaller one and the backing plate).  That leaves
enough slack that you can now install the handbrake lever with a moderate
amount of force.  Then drive the third plate (the large flat one) into place
between the first two plates, from the side away from the handbrake lever.
Keep tapping on it until both of the tabs from the other large plate drop
into the slots.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net