[TR] Refurbishing Wire Wheels

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Refurbishing Wire Wheels
From: Douglas Byam <dbyam@tds.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 16:54:46 -0600
I have processed many wheels in a Wheelabrator "Tumbleblast". The machine you
need has an endless belt curved in a deep "C" shape, inside the cabinet. I
placed several wheels in the machine at one time and pushed a pipe through the
hubs to keep the wheels from falling over. It even does a fair job where the
spokes cross because the shot bounces in all directions in the cabinet. The
only negative I can see is some small particles of shot lodge in between the
nipples and the holes in the wheel, I think the problem is purely cosmetic.

I just had the bunkers for my steam tractor powder coated after blasting and
I'm impressed, its a beautiful finish and I suspect it will be as durable as
enamel. There may be some issues with the "Faraday Cage Effect" when it comes
to getting coverage between the spokes. Like metal plating it may now throw
well in a confined area.

Doug Byam
Hickory Corners MI

http://www.vtr.org