Re: [TR] Intro & conversation starter

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Intro & conversation starter
From: "Russell Barr" <guzziot@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 19:02:54 -0800
Thanks for the warm welcome!
I've gotten some good advice, and spent about half my workday lurking at
6-pack.org
It looks like the TR6 is the choice for me, because I'll never stop wanting
one till I actually get one.  But it does look like it would be fun to work
on a Spitfire with how the whole front tilts up.  Heard from some other bus
owners too.  Very cool.  Some asked where I live and how I intended to use
it, which is very good question.  Yeah, I'll be swapping way down in terms
of carrying capacity from the bus to any 2-seater, but I can live with that.
Generic people-hauling is what my wife's minivan is for.  My main ride is my
motorcycle, which I ride 25 miles each way to work, rain or shine, as long
as there's no ice or snow to deal with.  When I had a sidecar I even rode
then, until the snow got too deep to push through.  But here's the thing
that I'm almost scared to admit in the company of purists: I'm going to
drive this car in the rain, and probably even snow & ice too.  It won't get
stored for the winter, but will almost certainly be taken out and slid
around when the weather is at its absolute worst.  I live in Centralia, WA,
which is exactly halfway between Seattle and Portland.  Some years there's
no snow here at all, but there's always rain and I'll be driving in it for
sure.  So a concours car is not what I should own, because it won't stay
that way.  It will have a carport to live in, loving maintenance and enough
tools and skill available to do a lot of the small to medium repairs that
will come up.  I've been riding Guzzis for almost as long as I've had
busses, so I'm used to doing some irregular maintenance, like finding or
making odd parts.  I'll expect to be able to drive on the freeway with it so
overdrive sounds like a must.  I take at least 1 ~3000-mile vacation per
year on my bike, and would expect to do the same in the TR.
--
Russell Barr

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net