[TR] Hole question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Hole question
From: "Steve Ball" <banjonut@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 07:04:33 -0800
OK...here's one for the list:

Last night I was at the body shop where I'm having some restoration work
done on my -3A, TS68164L.
The rear fenders are off, and I looked under the rear body, on the very
bottom of the car, just inside (toward the centerline) from  the back of the
rear fenderwell....and maybe two or three inches in front of the very back
of the car.  I found a hole on each side of the car.....maybe 1/4"-3/8" or
larger in diameter.  The holes don't seem to go anywhere except they
disappear up into the bodywork, and they're in the wrong place to be the
boot lid drain tubes (I think those come out to the side and there is no
path for them to go straight down through the bodywork and come out on the
bottom of the car).  I'm stumped.....I can't figure out what they are for.
Are they drain tube holes from the spare tire area (although there are no
holes in my spare tire area itself), or from the inside of the boot floor,
or could they be some kind of body alignment jig holes from the factory?  I
have no clue.  Does anybody know what these holes are for?  What am I
missing?  If there's supposed to be something going in there, now is the
time for me to install whatever is missing!

Maybe they're just air vent holes to keep the inside of the fender and
bodywork from rusting in case water accumulates in there from rain or
whatever?

Thanks,

Steve Ball
Lompoc CA