Re: [TR] OT: Frame Paint

To: "david brady" <dmb993@earthlink.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] OT: Frame Paint
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 21:40:56 -0500
Hi Dave,
I agree with Randall. Clean the frame off as best as you can first. Pick up
one of the phosphorus based metal coatings to stop the rust. I would suggest
wiping down the treated metal with laquer thinner vs. water to stop the
action of the phosphorous coating. As to paint, I used rustoleum red primer
followed with rustoleum gloss black. But, that was because I had sandblasted
the frame first.  POR-15 is good too but much more expensive and difficult
to use. I did use their (POR-15) engine paint kit and it turned out looking
like shiny black porcelain. Actually, if you purchase the engine kit, it
comes with  a great cleaning solvent and their version of a phosphorous
coating. There is probably enough of the prep materials to do a lot of your
frame prep. One thing on the POR-15, plan on using all the paint once you
open the can. I have never been able to reopen the can!
Dave Connitt
'67 Triumph TR4A IRS
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a