Re: [TR] Pertronix Ignition and coils

To: "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Pertronix Ignition and coils
From: "Tomislav Marincic" <tomislav.marincic@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 09:19:40 -0500
Hello,

Recently I wrote a reply to this thread which stated that using a 12V Lucas
Sport coil with a Pertronix Ignitor ignition trigger in a TR6 would cause the
current through the Pertronix to exceed the maximum allowable value. This was
mathematically correct, based on the information available from the
manufacturer of the Pertronix at the time I wrote my post.

My message was based on information posted on Pertronix's web site, which
stated that the maximum current permitted in a 6-cylinder car was 4.0 amps. I
have subsequently talked to "Rob" at Pertronix tech support, who was surprised
that this information was still on their web site. He states that 3.0 ohms of
resistance is a permissible value for a coil used with the Ignitor, and that
4.0 Amps of current is no longer the recommended maximum current for 6-cylinder
cars. He indicated that the web site would be corrected shortly.

Using a low-resistance "HEI" coil (typically 1.2 to 1.5 ohms) will fry your
Pertronix. Leaving the ignition on for long periods with the engine not running
will also damage it.  Using a Lucas Sport Coil will not.

I regret that I posted incorrect information.

Cheers, Tom

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net