Re: [TR] Fan extension, but for what?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Fan extension, but for what?
From: Vin Marshall <vlm@te-motorworks.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 14:26:24 -0500
I've been caught up dealing with vandalism at my shop for the past few days
and missed the beginning of this thread - so forgive me if I'm missing the
point - but it looked as if the gist was trying to identify the original
fitment of the various fan extensions pictured.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180448770516&ssPageName=STR
K:MEWAX:IT

This one is from our store on ebay.  It came off of either my own TR3 or one
of our parts cars, all of which are somewhere in the '59-'61 range of years
and all of which had 4 bladed metal fans.  I don't have the chassis numbers
handy right now.  For comparison to your parts, the dimensions are as follows:
4" long, 3.4" big end dia, and 2.785" small end dia.  Stamped on the side is
108493.

Hope that helps,
-vin

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 13:15:05 -0500
> From: amcewen2@cogeco.ca
> Subject: Re: [TR] Fan extension, but for what?
> To: triumphs@autox.team.net
>
>> The one on the left appears to be an original TR2-3 extension; the one on
>> the right looks like a TR4 unit to me.
>
> Don't let the fresh paint fool you ;)
>
> The one on the left is from ebay, the seller claims it came off of a 3 and
as he was selling a 2/3 radiator
> (identifiable by the neck and starter hole) I tend to beleive him, the one
on the right just came from TRF and I also
> believe them.
>
> The TRF one matchs the one I took off my 3, which judging from the number of
frozen bolts (one of which caused me to
> crack it on removal) was OEM, no plastic fan involved, it also visually
matches other ones on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180448770516&ssPageName=STR
K:MEWAX:IT

> They have the same bolt patterns.
>
> If I turn the wheel on full lock while backing out of my driveway I might
hear a ting, ting, ting sound which I took to
> be the fan edge just ever so gently touching the steering arm.  Obviously
I'll reprofile the fan blades to eliminate
> this but I wouldn't want to fit a longer extension then the one I took off.

> End of Triumphs Digest, Vol 4, Issue 23

Suggested annual donation  $11.47

Triumphs@autox.team.net