Re: [TR] Learning to drive a TR

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Learning to drive a TR
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 10:06:56 -0700
> I found that
> those who had
> started  off on automatics, and had no mechanical knowledge,
> just could never be
> as  competent as those who started off on a manual.

But perhaps that is effect rather than cause?  IOW those who had trouble
with the kind of coordination required to drive a stick were more likely to
seek out automatics in the first place?

I suspect this might be more common in the UK, where manuals are the default
configuration and it takes some effort to wind up in an automatic.  Here in
the US the situation is reversed, automatics have been the default
configuration for many decades.  My Buick, for example, was simply not
available with a manual; and I had to special-order my Chevy through Detroit
to get a manual transmission.

Randall

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html