[TR] Gas Proof Material

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Gas Proof Material
From: terryrs@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:49:04 +0000 (UTC)
Last summer I switched to Sunpro gauges, building an adapter for the fuel tank
sending unit out of two pieces of plexiglass with Permatex and paper gasket
seals sandwiched in between.  Worked great.

Until filling up for the first time this season when I smelled gas.
Investigation reveals the plexiglass has degraded and broken.

Question one:  does gas break down plexiglass, or might it have been the
Permatex?  I don't think I tightened the screws too tight.

Question two:  I don't really have the tools to easily fabricate two metal
disks to create an adapter.  Is there a material that's easy to work with, like
Plexiglass, that can withstand the chemicals?

I do love these new guages, though.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire

Triumphs@autox.team.net