[TR] Promise of oil analysis to the list

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Promise of oil analysis to the list
From: thenicholls@verizon.net
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 17:37:10 -0500 (CDT)
I had promised the list last Fall that I would provide the statistics from an
oil analysis done on oil removed this spring from my 1972 Triumph TR6.

The Oil Report was done by BlackStone Laboratories.B  I was a little
disappointed in that they had not done enough from this type of engine to
provide Universal Averages to compare to.

So, instead of the whole report, here is the summary.  I use Castrol GTX
20W-50 and have been adding a bottle of ZDDPlus at each oil change once per
year.

The important results (in PPM):
Phosphorus 2012
Zinc 2678
And for their comments below:  Copper 61
                                                   Lead 57
                                                   Fuel % 2.5 (Should be less
than 2.0)

This is more than adequate to protect our flat tappet engines.

I would also like to share their comments:
"We found high copper and lead in this first sample from you Triumph inline 6.
These metals probably indicate bearling wear.  However, while we've seen other
Triumph samples, this is our first from an I-6 so we don't have good averages
established for this engine yet.  But we do suspect these are abnormal metals,
and if silicon is from abrasive dirt, it may be the reason for all the wear.
Check the air filtration system.  Fuel was also hight at 2.5%, causing the
viscosity to drop to the 40W range.  Check back in another 1,000 miles to
establish trends and monitor wear."

Needless to say, I will not be performing this $22.50 analysis each year!  I
run K&N air filters that are cleaned and re-oiled each spring.  I am not
suprised that ther is bearing wear, and I am sure many of you are not
surprised either.  The fuel in the oil is a concern to me, but it was not much
over the "should be" value.

Anyway, thanks to the list for all the great information each and everyone
provides, and if anyone is interested in seeing the entire report, I can email
it to you.

Have a great summer!

Craig H. Nicholls
1972 Triumph TR6