Re: [TR] tr3 split calipers (Frank Fisher)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] tr3 split calipers (Frank Fisher)
From: "Rick" <chandler.rick@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:56:38 -0700
Hi Frank,

I'm aware of the myth of splitting the TR3A calipers, often based on the
claim that the torque values for the two connecting bolts are unknown. The
two halves are sandwiched around a rubber seal, available as a new part from
the usual suspects; this seal allows for the hydraulic path between the two
halves. The 3/8" bolt is torqued to 40-45 ft-lbs; the 7/16" bolt is torqued
to 60-70 ft-lbs. The bolts are high-tension steel, grade 8 I believe, and
screw into threads in the mating iron caliper half. Although there is little
risk of galling, I used a bit of copper anti-seize on the bolts when I
rebuilt my calipers a few years ago. The two mating surfaces must be
absolutely clean on assembly.

Rick in Seattle

1960 TR3A

1970 BSA 441 Victor Special