Re: [TR] Promise of oil analysis to the list

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Promise of oil analysis to the list
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:58:12 -0700
> The claim is that new
> fool eats at older real rubber components, and the fix is the rebuild
> the pump with a new synthetic rubber diaphram.

Indeed, I once installed a NOS AC diaphragm in my TR3A fuel pump, after
inspecting it carefully for any pinholes or cracks.  It looked brand new
when it went in, but when I took it back out just a few weeks later, I could
literally see light through it!  The diaphragm was made of several layers of
rubber-impregnated cloth, and the rubber was simply missing in some areas.

> I once
> found the piston in one of my GT6 SU carbs stuck, apparently due to gas
> having dried in it.  Don't know whether this relates and it's hard to
> imagine, but what do I know?)

This problem is not only real, but seems to me to have gotten much worse
since our gasoline was "reformulated" a few years back.  It used to dry to a
gummy brown deposit (commonly called varnish) that would dissolve slowly
(sometimes) in fresh fuel; and quickly in carb cleaner.  But now it seems to
dry to a hard white deposit that carb cleaner (at least the stuff I can buy
here) won't touch.  I opened up one of the float valves from my wrecked TR3A
the other day, and it was full of white deposit even though I've recently
driven it several hundred miles with fresh fuel (in the project TR3).

> Evaporation or not, fool has been known to accoomoolate in the oil.

My opinion is that fuel in the oil is never normal.  It may happen without
any worse defect than over-enthusiastic use of the choke, but it's not
normal.

-- Randall

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html