[TR] Toilet Paper Oil Filters. What happened?

Subject: [TR] Toilet Paper Oil Filters. What happened?
From: tr3driver at ca.rr.com (Randall)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 18:12:11 -0700
> I am very curious if any of the list guys have had any experience
> with  these.

Not directly, but a gearhead friend of mine ran one for several years many
years ago.  He didn't notice any change in fuel consumption and really
didn't run it long enough to notice any change in wear.  His interest was in
the "never change oil again" claim and felt that it performed as advertised.
I don't recall offhand how many miles he went without changing the oil; but
it stayed visibly clean and IIRC he also had its condition confirmed by a
lab at least twice.

But note that the TP has to be changed every 1000 miles, and you lose about
a quart of oil every time you change it.  So all of the oil additives, TBN
etc are kept up by the constant addition of oil.

He eventually got tired of changing the TP (very messy operation) and took
it off.  He also had a hard time finding the specified toilet paper.  I
don't recall the details, but I think it had to be single-ply and a certain
number of sheets per roll or something like that.  Anyway, it wasn't the
usual stuff you find in grocery stores and was only available in cases.

-- Randall