Re: [TR] Ignition question (and hello!)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Ignition question (and hello!)
From: Malcolm <malcolm@ipatch.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 22:40:02 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=nRPQgcUtIzeNFLB3tQJ2jZrfaFIKEZSe0jYqqTEIXlQ=; b=JQYZxBJxH+fu2P3+tlJJfzJI0MH+O21WFl5afhIsoN9895UYtYV7cGm7/u6JIfcgUd 5Yb7tom1Edm/iVBCgpwLWnDDE5sc2BWD4Aq0lAeM8TjIegGlRVhJygrbGzBEC5b1S+b2 5h6ZQv5KoGPAyV7YZZoziJbc4NEWY/jGITOrliYBiOTkyNpnduB4P3tV/JX8flTyI07q tR1l+3XPNuWWLHpM7EL1gBb+7m6xymtsSx59Pu5Belv0/4RHfgxL8PW99e1z1zUJQRGA yMYWzQBJspdAgZv9/fOhbSLfdaSX4yt6VyyaIqgmoL36pJ5NDpb9WCp6ntaWzSLAZas8 PXsQ==
Sender: triumphs-bounces@autox.team.net
Thanks Geo.  I tried the rotor again tonight and it does return back,
although it's not snappy like I would hope.

I also ran the car with the timing light and saw that it is floating a bit
at idle.  I've got new points to try, and I'll replace the coil, but I
foresee a rebuild in my future.

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 7:18 AM, Geo Hahn <ahwahneetr@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 11:34 PM, Malcolm <malcolm@ipatch.ca> wrote:
>
>>  My big question is: how much should I be able to rotate the distributor
>> rotor?  A little?  A lot?  15 degrees?  30?  Should it snap back to a
>> position at rest or just flop around?
>>

> As I recall the rotor should move about 100 on a correct TR4
> distributor.   When you move it I think you want it to snap back
> sharpish... if it is reluctant or 'flopping around' then it needs
attention.

> You might look at the number on the distributor body as through the years
> it may have been swapped with something slightly different from original --
> I'm thinking it would have been 40735A or 40795A.
>
> In any case, it is pretty simple to get the distributor on the bench and
> diassembled to the point of examining, cleaning and lightly lubing the
> weights and springs.  There will probably be one 'thin' spring that sits
> secure on the posts and one 'fat' spring that fits loosely (because it
> doesn't come into play until advance has operated aways).
>
> Geo

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive