Re: [TR] Speedometer Cable

To: "Triumphs (triumphs@autox.team.net)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Speedometer Cable
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 22:02:03 +0000
---- Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com> wrote:

> Or should I grow this small problem into a large one by taking apart
> and cleaning the instrument itself?  Because I'm not afraid to get in
> well over my head...

My guess is that the speedo is the problem anyway.  If the cable was in such
bad shape that it was winding up and unwinding for no reason, I think you would
have noticed while lubricating it.  But the odometer and trip meter mechanisms
both put periodic loads on the cable.  So if they are stiff and binding, the
extra load will cause even a new cable to wind up while the ratchet arm is
turning the wheel, and then unwind when it retracts.

Check out Tony Rhodes' article on speedo rebuilding.  If it looks like more
than you want to tackle, then there are several services around that will do it
for you, for a price of course.

Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive