Re: [TR] Randall's Headlight Conversion

To: "terryrs@comcast.net" <terryrs@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Randall's Headlight Conversion
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahneetr@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 10:59:00 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--bcaec501604be73f65051362840b

You may still want an alternator for other reasons but the draw on the LEDs
is low.

The high beams draw 2.6 amps (each) the low beams 1.8 amps (each).

I believe that low beam draw is about the same as a the 21 watt brake light
I use.

By way of contrast, a 60/55 H4 halogen drew 5.3 amps and 4.6 amps.

I will note that (based on feedback from fellow drivers this past week)
using the LEDs as daytime running lights may be less effective than some
other sources including the original incandescent.  The old style has a
yellow tone that shows well in sunlight, the LEDs (while quite bright) have
a very white tone that gets somewhat lost amid gleaming chrome and other
reflections & glare in bright sunlight.

Geo

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 10:13 AM, <terryrs@comcast.net> wrote:

> One question I forgot to ask.  Since the conversion is from either
> incandescent or Halogen bulbs, to LED's, does this mean the alternator
> conversion is no longer necessary?  Would the generator be able to keep up
> when headlights are not such a draw on power in cold weather night driving?
>
> Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
> New Hampshire
>
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:

--bcaec501604be73f65051362840b

sed on feedback from fellow drivers this past week) using the LEDs as dayti=
me running lights may be less effective than some other sources including t=
he original incandescent.=C2=A0 The old style has a yellow tone that shows =
well in sunlight, the LEDs (while quite bright) have a very white tone that=
 gets somewhat lost amid gleaming chrome and other reflections &amp; glare =
 Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 10:13 AM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:te=
rryrs@comcast.net" target=3D"_blank">terryrs@comcast.net</a>&gt;</span> wro=
te:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-=
left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">One question I forgot to ask.=C2=A0 S=
ince the conversion is from either incandescent or Halogen bulbs, to LED&#3=
9;s, does this mean the alternator conversion is no longer necessary?=C2=A0=
 Would the generator be able to keep up when headlights are not such a draw=
 on power in cold weather night driving?<br>
Terry Smith, &#39;59 TR3A<br>
New Hampshire<br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> *=
*<br>