Re: [TR] Wire wheel maintenance

To: mathews@uga.edu, 'Triumph Mail List' <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Wire wheel maintenance
From: David Porter <frogeye@porterscustom.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 12:37:34 -0700
--===============2083089541685334957==
 boundary="------------000609010902060809000903"

--------------000609010902060809000903

..being a bicycle builder for 40+ years and I started doing customers
car wire wheels, but have found, in past ten years, that's it's cheaper
for them to just buy new wire wheels..
The problem with auto wheels is that the rims are so massive that using
a spoke to true them will strip the spoke or nipple long before the rim
reacts. They are built on a jig that locates the hub and rim and dish,
then the spokes are tightened, so there is no "truing" as in a bicycle
wheel.
DaveP

--
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

--------------000609010902060809000903

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    ..being a bicycle builder for 40+ years and I started doing
    customers car wire wheels, but have found, in past ten years, that's
    it's cheaper for them to just buy new wire wheels..<br>
    The problem with auto wheels is that the rims are so massive that
    using a spoke to true them will strip the spoke or nipple long
    before the rim reacts. They are built on a jig that locates the hub
    and rim and dish, then the spokes are tightened, so there is no
    "truing" as in a bicycle wheel.<br>
    DaveP<br>
      wrote:<br>
        charset=windows-1252">
        lot of work on wire wheels are bike shops. Granted there is a
        HUGE difference in them, there are many similarities thought.
        Anyone ever approached your bicycle shop about this?  The next
        time I am by my bike shop I will ask them the question, but I
        probably will get the easy answer.<br>
        Here is a link to Hagerty (insurance)   that list some places
        around the country that do the work. Not sure how current the
        info is.<br>
        <a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2007/03/01/Wire-Wheels";>https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2007/03/01/Wire-Wheels</a><br>
        Doug<br>
      <pre wrap="">
** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **

href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>
</pre>
      Dave Porter
      Porter Custom Bicycles
      2909 Arno St. NE
      Albuquerque, NM 87107
      505-352-1378
      Go HERE: my world <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="http://www.porterbikes.com/";>www.porterbikes.com/</a>

--===============2083089541685334957==--