Re: [TR] carb issues and stalling

To: Carl TR <cfmtr3a@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] carb issues and stalling
From: Don Hiscock <don.hiscock@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 18:17:11 -0600
Cc: Truiumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--001a1147e6108c26660523c00db5

My filter is after the pump/sediment bowl, just before the inlet to the
float bowl.  This is how Mark Macy and his crew set it up, and I'm very
happy with that location.
https://4xdog.smugmug.com/photos/i-VgczDNP/0/X2/i-VgczDNP-X2.jpg

Don
1962 TR3B TSF202L

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 5:57 PM, CFMTR3A <cfmtr3a@verizon.net> wrote:

> Today was a long and interesting day.
>
> Pulled plugs - dark/sooty and #4 damp.  Cleaned (only had couple hundred
> miles on them); let the chambers 'air out'
> Looked at fuel pump bowl; quite a bit of sediment; cleaned.  Most was dirt
> but some was picked up by a magnet.
> Disconnected fuel line at carbs; blew air through line; in addition to fuel
> there was quite a bit of grunge
> Opened float bowls on carbs; not too bad but evidence of moisture in the
> fuel
> Left it all open to 'air out'.  Cleaned carbs as much as possible without
> dismantling.
>
> Fuel filter before the pump - major sediment.  Cleaned it. It was so dirty
> that the grunge was getting past the filter.
> Looked in gas tank and sediment at bottom; used magnet to clean it out.
> About a tablespoon's worth.
> Blew air toward gas tank from filter connection.  Used magnet again and got
> about half that again. Looks like more in there so will do it again
> tomorrow
> morning after the fuel settles.
> Not sure what to do if it is just dirt.  Let it run almost dry and mop it
> up
> with rags?
> #4 plug was .035 not .025 as spec'd.  could be why it was wet - couldn't
> get
> enough spark.  Also mixture was about 1flat too rich on both carbs
> Reconnected everything;  Checked points/condenser - no issues.
> Primed fuel pump; pulled choke; and voila - purred like a kitten; idle a
> little high at 1000-1100RPM.  Went for a 30 mile drive; no stalling; no
> missing; no run-on.
>
> Tomorrow, I'll check timing although I don't expect any issues; re-set idle
> and go for a long drive including highway speeds.  Can't decide if I'll get
> more gas or let it get low.  About half tank now.
>
> The fuel filter is attached to the chassis rail and barely visible looking
> down past the wiper motor mount area. I think it is about in the same
> location that earlier models had a fuel shut-off.  It is not easy to check.
> I may need to re-think location.
>

> Carl
> 1960 Triumph TR3
> TS81802LO
> Tampa, FL

 inlet to the float bowl.=C2=A0 This is how Mark Macy and his crew set it u=
p, and I&#39;m very happy with that location.<div><a href=3D"https://4xdog.=
smugmug.com/photos/i-VgczDNP/0/X2/i-VgczDNP-X2.jpg">https://4xdog.smugmug.c=
div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 5:57 PM, CFMTR3A <span dir=
=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:cfmtr3a@verizon.net"; target=3D"_blank">cfmtr=
tyle=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Toda=
y was a long and interesting day.<br>
Pulled plugs - dark/sooty and #4 damp.=C2=A0 Cleaned (only had couple hundr=
ed<br>
miles on them); let the chambers &#39;air out&#39;<br>
Looked at fuel pump bowl; quite a bit of sediment; cleaned.=C2=A0 Most was =
dirt<br>
but some was picked up by a magnet.<br>
Disconnected fuel line at carbs; blew air through line; in addition to fuel=
there was quite a bit of grunge<br>
Opened float bowls on carbs; not too bad but evidence of moisture in the<br=

fuel<br>
Left it all open to &#39;air out&#39;.=C2=A0 Cleaned carbs as much as possi=
ble without<br>
dismantling.<br>
Fuel filter before the pump - major sediment.=C2=A0 Cleaned it. It was so d=
irty<br>
that the grunge was getting past the filter.<br>
Looked in gas tank and sediment at bottom; used magnet to clean it out.<br>
About a tablespoon&#39;s worth.<br>
Blew air toward gas tank from filter connection.=C2=A0 Used magnet again an=
d got<br>
about half that again. Looks like more in there so will do it again tomorro=
w<br>
morning after the fuel settles.<br>
Not sure what to do if it is just dirt.=C2=A0 Let it run almost dry and mop=
 it up<br>
with rags?<br>
#4 plug was .035 not .025 as spec&#39;d.=C2=A0 could be why it was wet - co=
uldn&#39;t get<br>
enough spark.=C2=A0 Also mixture was about 1flat too rich on both carbs<br>
Reconnected everything;=C2=A0 Checked points/condenser - no issues.<br>
Primed fuel pump; pulled choke; and voila - purred like a kitten; idle a<br=

little high at 1000-1100RPM.=C2=A0 Went for a 30 mile drive; no stalling; n=
o<br>
missing; no run-on.<br>
Tomorrow, I&#39;ll check timing although I don&#39;t expect any issues; re-=
set idle<br>
and go for a long drive including highway speeds.=C2=A0 Can&#39;t decide if=
 I&#39;ll get<br>
more gas or let it get low.=C2=A0 About half tank now.<br>
The fuel filter is attached to the chassis rail and barely visible looking<=
br>
down past the wiper motor mount area. I think it is about in the same<br>
location that earlier models had a fuel shut-off.=C2=A0 It is not easy to c=
heck.<br>
I may need to re-think location.<br>
Carl<br>
1960 Triumph TR3<br>