[TR] Triumph GT6 Rear Brakes

To: "<triumphs@autox.team.net>" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Triumph GT6 Rear Brakes
From: Joao Simoes <jmbs46@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 12:37:28 -0400
Hi all,  have been part of this list for a while but have not written much. My
thinks to Paul Tegler for some insight on my topic today.

I have a 1973 GT6 chassis I am restoring onto which I will bolt on a 1978
Spitfire tub.

Being a late GT6, it has the swing spring rear suspension and an apparently
rare rear auto adjusting drum brake. In British Leylandâ??s infinite wisdom,
nothing is mentioned about this in the shop manual and I am missing critical
components such as a little â??Hâ?? shaped part, the self adjusting linkage and
the actual adjuster, a threaded bolt like part and a â??nutâ?? with teeth that
allow the adjuster linkage to adjust the shoes.

I now have new drums, wheel cylinders and all hardware except for the
adjusters, linkage and â??Hâ??.

Can anyone comment on my options below?

1- Is anyone aware of either someone wiling to sell or part with the missing
parts I need? Maybe a rear axle assembly or such?

2- Is there any other car with similar parts I can use or adapt?

3- Were I to give up, I would like to keep the wider drums and shoes I already
have, could these be used if I reverted to the earlier GT6â??s or Spitfire's
backing plates, manually adjusted assemblies and wheel cylinders or would I
have to use those earlier drums and shoes too? (I am assuming these would be
the MK1 GT6, since the MK3 and early MK3 are rotoflex).

4- Any other ideas I have not thought of?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive