Re: [TR] TR 3 cylinder head

To: Bob Nogueira <nogera@hotmail.com> e37uKLy9co9FCoES8hFWEs9Ir5tbhnLbbr0Lkh5zM2gnBq3s4Xu2RXmWTpeURg4IY08hI6Sxc4hpdo5uwcQQhPovH24TfdtnAPdiOUz0cTH1BzwVs2m48ROX
Subject: Re: [TR] TR 3 cylinder head
From: Dave Hogye <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 20:57:11 -0700
Cc: Triumph List <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
This crack is generally not a problem and should not need to be welded,
especially if you had no other problems.  As you have stated, the head gasket
does not provide sealing in this area.  The machinist doesnâ??t need to be
concerned about milling.  .125â?? can safety be removed from the head before
the casting gets too thin around the liner area, but even then, there are
â??tricksâ?? to go more.  That much increases the compression towards maximum
performance and would be far beyond your needs.
Dave H.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 21, 2018, at 6:33 PM, Bob Nogueira <nogera@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> I I have my TR3 head at a machine shop to have a valve job done. The
> machinist, who is good but not familiar with Triumph engines, is concerned
> about a crack which was welded up between the two water jacket holes which
> are between cylinders two and three. The weld is very good but slightly lower
> than the mating face.
> When I got home I looked at the head gasket and it has one oblong hole which
> takes in both holes and the the weld will easily fall totally within the hole
> in the gasket.
> 1. Am I correct in telling him to not worry about milling the head to correct
> low weld issue?
> 2. Using Terriannâ??s method, the head has been shaved 25 thou. What is the
> accepted limit to shave a TR3 head?
> Thanks
>
> Bob Nogueira
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **