Re: [TR] Tab washers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Tab washers
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 20:58:54 -0500

--------------53FB8D02AB1400E930FBB894

John Deere did a big study on this and found that loctite is the way to
go.  The tab washers seem so obviously to be a good thing, but they
didn't work very well, and the softness of them allows torque values to
decrease as they wear - proper torque is critical.

Cheers, Tony Drews

On 9/26/2018 3:42 PM, Randall wrote:
> I don't like tabs on rod bolts. They are much softer than the rod or
> bolt, so they can crush and let the bolt loosen even though it doesn't
> turn. This effect has been mentioned both by Caroll Smith and by Kas
> Kastner in their respective books on race car preparation.
>
> I also had a tab break off once, and find it's way into the oil pump.
> Fortunately no serious harm done, I heard the change in engine sound
> and shut it down before any serious damage happened. But it still
> caused me to miss a club drive that I was rather looking forward to;
> and of course it had to come home on a flatbed. Not a pleasant day!
>
> That was over 20 years ago and I've been using oil resistant Loctite
> (on standard bolts) instead of tabs ever since.
>
> Check to be sure the bolts aren't too long, by threading them into the
> rod without the cap with only light finger pressure and then comparing
> the height of the cap with the resulting gap. None of mine were too
> long on 2 different engines, but its worth double checking. ISTR Kas
> mentioned that too.
> -- Randall
>

> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/tony@tonydrews.com

--------------53FB8D02AB1400E930FBB894

  <head>
  </head>
      way to go.  The tab washers seem so obviously to be a good thing,
      but they didn't work very well, and the softness of them allows
      torque values to decrease as they wear - proper torque is
      critical.</p>
      cite="mid:0457E6BE-19A8-4B7D-8A51-E92C71110522@ca.rr.com">
      I don't like tabs on rod bolts. They are much softer than the rod
      or bolt, so they can crush and let the bolt loosen even though it
      doesn't turn. This effect has been mentioned both by Caroll Smith
      and by Kas Kastner in their respective books on race car
      preparation.<br>
      I also had a tab break off once, and find it's way into the oil
      pump. Fortunately no serious harm done, I heard the change in
      engine sound and shut it down before any serious damage happened.
      But it still caused me to miss a club drive that I was rather
      looking forward to; and of course it had to come home on a
      flatbed. Not a pleasant day!<br>
      That was over 20 years ago and I've been using oil resistant
      Loctite (on standard bolts) instead of tabs ever since. <br>
      Check to be sure the bolts aren't too long, by threading them into
      the rod without the cap with only light finger pressure and then
      comparing the height of the cap with the resulting gap. None of
      mine were too long on 2 different engines, but its worth double
      checking. ISTR Kas mentioned that too.<br>
      -- Randall
      <pre wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>
  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>