Re: [TR] New TR-3 starters

To: "'Ron L'Herault'" <lherault@verizon.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] New TR-3 starters
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2019 08:39:02 -0600
> Which
> brings me to the question, "What's involved in a starter
> rebuild?"   I'm
> guessing its brushes and bearings.

Depends a lot on what's wrong with it.  Brushes, springs, bearings and
skimming/polishing the commutator would be the absolute minimum; but the
drive can also need attention, or the field coils.  Drive failures are
particularly common with the earlier style TR3 starter (but I don't think
anyone makes the "failsafe" coupling any more).  The power stud is also
damaged sometimes and should be replaced if necessary.  (Watch out, the
replacement may be different threads than original.)  Armature should be
tested in several different ways (including shaft runout) and repaired or
replaced as necessary.

Oh yeah, lubricate, clean and paint.  Test free-running current, plus torque
and current with the rotor locked.

There's probably more, that's just what I can think of offhand.

FWIW, my independent FLAPS has a service where they can send out unusual
starters (as well as other components like generators, clutches,
distributors, etc) to be rebuilt.  Turnaround runs a few days to a few
weeks, and I've always been happy with the result.  They don't keep TR3
parts on the shelf, of course, and the kid at the counter may not know (or
think to offer) that they can have yours rebuilt.  But you might ask, maybe
yours can too.

Seems like the rebuilders (the few that are left) don't like dealing with
the public.  Given what I've seen hanging around friend's shops; I don't
blame them!

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **