Re: [TR] making the mating surface of an oil pan flat

To: Sujit Roy <triumphstag@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] making the mating surface of an oil pan flat
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahneetr@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 08:40:14 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--000000000000ed99e6057ff9ad8b

I used a body hammer and dolly - was pretty easy to get them flat again.
IMO a hammer blow is much more effective than a tightening bolt will be.

After that I installed the gasket to the pan using RTV and set the whole
works gasket-down on a sheet of glass.  The result was a sealed gasket with
a very flat surface to present to the machined bottom of the block.  A
non-hardening sealer (e.g. Hylomar) will then work with that.  With a bit
of care the gasket will stay with the pan upon removal and can be re-used.

Geo

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 12:16 AM Sujit Roy <triumphstag@gmail.com> wrote:

>   The PO put gallons of sealer around the pan/ sump and over tightened all
> the bolts. They are all raises and .if  I put a flat rule between holes, I
> can notice at least 1 or more mm gap.
>
> I am thinking of using a nut and bolt with a few washers to hopefully make
> the bolts holes flat again. Are there any other good simpler ways to do
> this. I don't want to hammer them as I think I will do more damage.
>
> Sujit
>
> --
> Sujit Roy
> Cupertino, California
>
> https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/
>
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **

> http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:

--000000000000ed99e6057ff9ad8b

em flat again.=C2=A0 IMO a hammer blow is much more effective than a tighte=
the pan using RTV and set the whole works gasket-down on a sheet of glass.=
=C2=A0 The result was a sealed gasket with a very flat surface to present t=
o the machined bottom of the block.=C2=A0 A non-hardening sealer (e.g. Hylo=
mar) will then work with that.=C2=A0 With a bit of care the gasket will sta=
_attr">On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 12:16 AM Sujit Roy &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tri=
te class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px =
solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">=C2=A0 The PO put=
 gallons of sealer around the pan/ sump and over tightened all the bolts. T=
hey are all raises and .if=C2=A0 I put a flat rule between holes, I=C2=A0 c=
an notice at least 1 or more mm gap.<br><br>I am thinking of using a nut an=
d bolt with a few washers to hopefully make the bolts holes flat again. Are=
 there any other good simpler ways to do this. I don&#39;t want to hammer t=
hem as I think I will do more damage.<br><br>Sujit=C2=A0=C2=A0<br clear=3D"=
** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">triumphs@au=
tox.team.net</a> **<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"; rel=3D"noreferr=
er" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>=C2=A0 <a h=