Re: [TR] TR6 will not start when hot

To: robert rudolphi <robertrudolphi@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 will not start when hot
From: alan salvatore <alansalvy@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 18:16:09 -0400
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--0000000000001dcfe9058cce36a3

I have had the same problem before and it turned out to be the coil was
going bad.

Al

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 3:24 PM DAVE HOGYE <dlhogye@comcast.net> wrote:

> Yes, sounds like vapor lock.  I'd do whatever it takes to keep the system
> cool.  I have a heat shield on my TR3 street/race car and I attached
> stick-on heat protector matting, with a couple rivets for extra hold, on
> the exhaust side of the ARE heat shield for added protection.  It works
> great.  The heat difference is huge.
> My fuel line is routed away from the engine and along the inner fender.  I
> think it's good to not have fuel lines near hot exhaust.  A small leak
> could really spoil things.
> Dave H.
> > On July 3, 2019 at 12:08 PM Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > I have a similar problem.  If I try to crank the car after sitting a
> > few minutes, it's hard to start.  If it sits longer, it will start
> > without a problem.
> >
> > I attribute it to heat soaking of the carbs and fuel line...and I also
> > have a heat shield.  I haven't looked into the routing of the fuel
> > line yet - my solution is to just keep driving and never stop...
> >
> > Jeff Scarbrough
> > Corrosion Acres, Ga.
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 8:51 AM robert rudolphi <robertrudolphi@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I am having trouble getting my TR6 to start when hot. It always fires
> right up when cold but after a drive it just cranks and cranks but will not
> start. I usually keep the throttle wide open when trying to start but
> lately that does not seem to make a difference. I usually have a strong
> smell of gas after cranking for a while. I have installed one of the carb
> heat shields but also no help. I assume it has to do with the carbs getting
> to hot above the exhaust manifolds, but I have spoken to others and they do
> not have this problem. This has been going on for years and would love any
> input to possible fixes.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Robert Rudolphi
> > > 74 TR6
> > > ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
> > >
> > > Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> > > Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs
> http://www.team.net/archive
> > >
> > > Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/fishplate@gmail.com
> > ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
> >
> > Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> > Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs
> http://www.team.net/archive
> >
> > Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/dlhogye@comcast.net
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **

> http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/alansalvy@gmail.com

--0000000000001dcfe9058cce36a3

iv class=3D"gmail_quote"><div class=3D"gmail_attr" dir=3D"ltr">On Wed, Jul =
3, 2019 at 3:24 PM DAVE HOGYE &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dlhogye@comcast.net";>dl=
 style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;padding-left:1ex;border-left-color:rgb(2=
04,204,204);border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid">Yes, sounds like=
 vapor lock.=C2=A0 I&#39;d do whatever it takes to keep the system cool.=C2=
=A0 I have a heat shield on my TR3 street/race car and I attached stick-on =
heat protector matting, with a couple rivets for extra hold, on the exhaust=
 side of the ARE heat shield for added protection.=C2=A0 It works great.=C2=
=A0 The heat difference is huge. <br>
My fuel line is routed away from the engine and along the inner fender.=C2=
=A0 I think it&#39;s good to not have fuel lines near hot exhaust.=C2=A0 A =
small leak could really spoil things.=C2=A0 <br>
Dave H.=C2=A0 <br>
&gt; On July 3, 2019 at 12:08 PM Jeff Scarbrough &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fish=
plate@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">fishplate@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I have a similar problem.=C2=A0 If I try to crank the car after sittin=
g a<br>
&gt; few minutes, it&#39;s hard to start.=C2=A0 If it sits longer, it will =
start<br>
&gt; without a problem.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I attribute it to heat soaking of the carbs and fuel line...and I also=
&gt; have a heat shield.=C2=A0 I haven&#39;t looked into the routing of the=
 fuel<br>
&gt; line yet - my solution is to just keep driving and never stop...<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Jeff Scarbrough<br>
&gt; Corrosion Acres, Ga.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 8:51 AM robert rudolphi &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:r=
obertrudolphi@yahoo.com" target=3D"_blank">robertrudolphi@yahoo.com</a>&gt;=
 wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Hello all,<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; I am having trouble getting my TR6 to start when hot. It always f=
ires right up when cold but after a drive it just cranks and cranks but wil=
l not start. I usually keep the throttle wide open when trying to start but=
 lately that does not seem to make a difference. I usually have a strong sm=
ell of gas after cranking for a while. I have installed one of the carb hea=
t shields but also no help. I assume it has to do with the carbs getting to=
 hot above the exhaust manifolds, but I have spoken to others and they do n=
ot have this problem. This has been going on for years and would love any i=
nput to possible fixes.<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Thank you,<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>