Re: [TR] Sleepless in Ocala

To: Jim Henningsen <trguy75@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Sleepless in Ocala
From: Don Hiscock <don.hiscock@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 20:34:07 -0500
Cc: Triumphs <Triumphs@autox.team.net>

--000000000000b32968058d71e88d

Definitely check to see the fuel pump lever is on the correct side of the
cam.  I had a similar problem a few years ago when a very good shop did me
the unrequested favor of replacing a fuel pump gasket and an embarrassed
mechanic got the lever positioned wrong.  He's still a little red-faced
over that...

In my case the car would run for a minute or so after priming the bowls,
then stall until they were manually filled again.

Here's what it looked like by the time I pulled it.  Note the worn spot on
the affected lever next to a reference.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-XQ7d3fM/0/f3e2e8a6/X5/i-XQ7d3fM-X5.jpg

Don
1962 TR3B TSF202L

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 6:19 PM Jim Henningsen <trguy75@gmail.com> wrote:

> List:
> I have spent many an hour and part trying to track down my running issue on
> the 60 TR3A.  Car starts up fine with cold start.  Runs for about a minute
> and stalls out.  Float bowls are both near empty.  Switched fuel pumps and
> fuel lines, new clear filter near carb, new needle and seats on both carbs.
> Still happens.  After it stalls, I can manually prime fuel with handle on
> fuel pump and it fills both bowls up with fuel without a problem.  Start
> her
> up and runs for a minute until gas gone.  Lift off fuel bowl tops and
> floats
> at bottom with no gas.  Both float needles are down when I lift off fuel
> bowl tops which would allow gas in.  I cleaned and checked all fuel lines,
> passageways in fuel bowl tops, etc.  I have plenty of fuel in the fuel pump
> bowl so don't think there is problem getting gas to pump.
>
> Why is it not allowing gas in the fuel bowls when running?  The pump allows
> it in when not running?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Jim Henningsen
> Ocala, FL
> 60 TR3A
> 61 TR3A
> 62 TR4
> 75 TR6
>
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **

> http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/don.hiscock@gmail.com

--000000000000b32968058d71e88d

ect side of the cam.=C2=A0 I had a similar problem a few years ago when a v=
ery good shop did me the unrequested favor of replacing a fuel pump gasket =
and an embarrassed mechanic got the lever positioned wrong.=C2=A0 He&#39;s =
 would run for a minute or so after priming the bowls, then stall until the=
ooked like by the time I pulled it.=C2=A0 Note the worn spot on the affecte=
d lever next to a reference.</div><div><a href=3D"https://photos.smugmug.co=
m/photos/i-XQ7d3fM/0/f3e2e8a6/X5/i-XQ7d3fM-X5.jpg">https://photos.smugmug.c=
_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 6:19 =
PM Jim Henningsen &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:trguy75@gmail.com";>trguy75@gmail.co=
:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"=
>List:<br>
I have spent many an hour and part trying to track down my running issue on=
the 60 TR3A.=C2=A0 Car starts up fine with cold start.=C2=A0 Runs for about=
 a minute<br>
and stalls out.=C2=A0 Float bowls are both near empty.=C2=A0 Switched fuel =
pumps and<br>
fuel lines, new clear filter near carb, new needle and seats on both carbs.=
Still happens.=C2=A0 After it stalls, I can manually prime fuel with handle=
 on<br>
fuel pump and it fills both bowls up with fuel without a problem.=C2=A0 Sta=
rt her<br>
up and runs for a minute until gas gone.=C2=A0 Lift off fuel bowl tops and =
floats<br>
at bottom with no gas.=C2=A0 Both float needles are down when I lift off fu=
el<br>
bowl tops which would allow gas in.=C2=A0 I cleaned and checked all fuel li=
nes,<br>
passageways in fuel bowl tops, etc.=C2=A0 I have plenty of fuel in the fuel=
 pump<br>
bowl so don&#39;t think there is problem getting gas to pump.=C2=A0 <br>
Why is it not allowing gas in the fuel bowls when running?=C2=A0 The pump a=
llows<br>
it in when not running?=C2=A0 <br>
Any help greatly appreciated.<br>
Jim Henningsen<br>