Re: [TR] Spal Fan Installation

To: TERRY SMITH <terryrs@comcast.net>,triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Spal Fan Installation
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com> pWzowxlDdFswCIVFBGVnn6T4NWMt0X54FmZc6xMBZPpj4A+9WNbOulUdNebcUBdi//Sk/zz5r7t4C7uWocb5XvjDxl7hpgoRyQs=
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 11:27:59 -0500

------LT7GGGEND9XELP4OQ3AFO42Q56547O
 charset=utf-8

I believe it could be done, but not with standard electronics=2E

Most fan controls are looking for a contact closure, so obviously they are=
n't going to work with a gauge sender=2E

Even with a fan control that expects a variable resistance (like the gauge=
 does), it will "read" that resistance by passing a current through it, and=
 measuring the resulting voltage=2E The gauge does the same thing=2E But wi=
th current from two sources, the voltage will be much higher, which will co=
nfuse both fan and gauge=2E

One way around that is to build your own fan controller that only looks at=
 voltage=2E Not hard to do, one IC, one transistor, and a handful of resist=
ors will do the job=2E But probably more than most want to tackle=2E It als=
o makes fan operation depend in the gauge, which might not be desirable=2E

FWIW, since my car lacks the optional heater, it was easy to mount a fan s=
ensor in the heater return fitting on the water pump housing=2E Although I =
did not try it, I believe you could put a tee in that hole, and connect bot=
h heater return and fan sensor=2E Heater operation would affect the fan to =
some extent, but I think not enough to matter=2E
-- Randall

On 20 July 2019 11:08:18 GMT-05:00, TERRY SMITH <terryrs@comcast=2Enet> wr=
ote:
>I'm still researching this but thought I'd ask anyway=2E  I've a Spal
>pusher fan with a thermostat from years ago I never installed=2E=20
>Deciding to install it because the 3 is running fine at thermostat temp
>on the road, but shortly after I shut down in this heat it barely
>starts again and runs rough until the float bowls clear=2E Letting the
>fan run after shut down ought to help keep the float bowls from
>overheating=2E=20
>

>Awhile ago I installed SunPro electric temp guage and sending unit=2E  So
>question=2E  Can you use the same temp gauge sending unit as the temp
>sensor for the fan also?  The temp gauge sensor uses some sort of
>resistance affected by heat, I suppose, but whether the fan reads it
>the same as the gauge is puzzling=2E
>

>Thanks, everyone (again!)
>
>Terry Smith  '59 TR3A
>
>New Hampshire

------LT7GGGEND9XELP4OQ3AFO42Q56547O
 charset=utf-8

<!doctype html><html><head>
</head><body>I believe it could be done, but not with standard electronics=
=2E<br><br>Most fan controls are looking for a contact closure, so obviousl=
y they aren't going to work with a gauge sender=2E<br><br>Even with a fan c=
ontrol that expects a variable resistance (like the gauge does), it will "r=
ead" that resistance by passing a current through it, and measuring the res=
ulting voltage=2E The gauge does the same thing=2E But with current from tw=
o sources, the voltage will be much higher, which will confuse both fan and=
 gauge=2E<br><br>One way around that is to build your own fan controller th=
at only looks at voltage=2E Not hard to do, one IC, one transistor, and a h=
andful of resistors will do the job=2E But probably more than most want to =
tackle=2E It also makes fan operation depend in the gauge, which might not =
be desirable=2E<br><br>FWIW, since my car lacks the optional heater, it was=
 easy to mount a fan sensor in the heater return fitting on the water pump =
housing=2E Although I did not try it, I believe you could put a tee in that=
 hole, and connect both heater return and fan sensor=2E Heater operation wo=
uld affect the fan to some extent, but I think not enough to matter=2E<br>-=
:00, TERRY SMITH &lt;terryrs@comcast=2Enet&gt; wrote:<blockquote class=3D"g=
mail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0=2E8ex; border-left: 1px solid rg=
b(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
r: rgb(51, 51, 51);">I'm still researching this but thought I'd ask anyway=
=2E&nbsp; I've a Spal pusher fan with a thermostat from years ago I never i=
nstalled=2E&nbsp; Deciding to install it because the 3 is running fine at t=
hermostat temp on the road, but shortly after I shut down in this heat it b=
arely starts again and runs rough until the float bowls clear=2E Letting th=
e fan run after shut down ought to help keep the float bowls from overheati=
ng=2E&nbsp; <br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,ari=
al,sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt=
; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Awhile =
ago I installed SunPro electric temp guage and sending unit=2E&nbsp; So que=
stion=2E&nbsp; Can you use the same temp gauge sending unit as the temp sen=
sor for the fan also?&nbsp; The temp gauge sensor uses some sort of resista=
nce affected by heat, I suppose, but whether the fan reads it the same as t=
he gauge is puzzling=2E<br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: he=
lvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br></p><p style=3D"font=
-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51=
);">Thanks, everyone (again!)<br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-fami=
ly: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Terry Smith&nbsp; =
'59 TR3A<br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,s=
ans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">New Hampshire<br></p>
------LT7GGGEND9XELP4OQ3AFO42Q56547O--

--===============9150935884410434416==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

--===============9150935884410434416==--