Re: [TR] Gasket sealant for sump

To: aljlthomson@charter.net, dmericas@gmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Gasket sealant for sump
From: DAVID MASSEY <dave1massey@cs.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 12:33:22 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_359987_1409547997.1585485202978

 I have seen applications of RTV go bad.=C2=A0 One was when it was used in =
place of a proper gasket for the fuel sender on my TR3.=C2=A0 When it was c=
lamped down RTV icicles oozed out into the tank.=C2=A0=C2=A0 One problem is=
 that=C2=A0 I know of  no RTV that is rated for exposure to gasoline but th=
e other problem is there was an RTV-cicle that softened, broke loose and fo=
und its way into the fuel system blocking the flow of fuel resulting in a t=
ow home.=C2=A0 This scenario in an engine crankcase is scary.=C2=A0 Creatin=
g a lubrication blockage can result in bearing failure.
None-the-less, I use the Blue stuff on waterpumps and other cooling system =
parts as just about any RTV has no issues with water.=C2=A0 But I use a tri=
ck I once read many years ago where I loosely assemble the parts taking up =
any slack but leaving the bolts or nuts snug but not tight so as to not for=
ce the sealant to flow.=C2=A0 Then I wait 15 - 30 minutes to allow the RTV =
to start to set.=C2=A0 Once it is partially set it will not flow and the pa=
rt can be torqued down without fear of RTV-cicles.
If you are going to use Ultra Gray, which looks like an excellent choice fo=
r this application, I recommend this technique.
=C2=A0But I prefer to use Form-A-Gasket #2 on one side of the gasket to mor=
e or less permanently adhere it to once surface and , like Tim, Hylomar on =
the other surface to allow for easy removal down the line.
Dave=20

=20
=20