Re: [TR] The U.K. TR6 driver

To: John Macartney <John.Macartney@ukpips.org.uk>
Subject: Re: [TR] The U.K. TR6 driver
From: Greg Lemon <grglmn@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020 18:31:19 -0500
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--0000000000007c769d05aead80cc

John,

Here I thought all englishmen were polite and we got the short end of the
stick not getting the Petrol Injection cars.  You did the right thing, even
if not appreciated.

Best Regards

Greg Lemon
TR250

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020, 6:16 PM John Macartney <John.Macartney@ukpips.org.uk>
wrote:

> I think it=E2=80=99s unlikely this owner is on this list - but just in ca=
se, this
> is for him.
>
> Remember yesterday on the A46 near Bidford on Avon? I was the bloke in th=
> black Volvo C70  convertible who took pity on you stranded at the roadsid=
> with a  fuel  metering unit whose timing was out of whack. Some things fo=
> you to remember for future reference:
>
> 1. I stopped to offer you help out of kindness and curiosity. No emergenc=
> mechanic will understand the Lucas injection system fitted on your TR6. I
> do, having worked on many cars with that equipment when new and I=E2=80=
=99ve owned
> three myself.
>
> 2. If you choose to drive a classic car, One jack without a handle, no
> wheelnut spanner at all and a sloppy adjustable spanner does NOT represen=
> a toolkit! Wasn=E2=80=99t it handy that mine was available?
>
> 3. If you paid =C2=A330,000 for that car, the seller saw you coming. The =
engine
> needs a major rebuild from the racket it makes at idle, the electrics loo=
> positively dangerous and the fuel pump is over-fuelling the metering unit=
.
> What I did at the roadside in re-timing your metering unit to squirt the
> correct pipe at least got you running on all six, albeit not smoothly but
> enough to get you home.
>
> 4. I hope you enjoyed the lunch you never stopped telling me you were
> likely to miss as I worked on your car and...
>
> 5. If anyone else ever stops to help you at the roadside when they had no
> need to themselves, remember it=E2=80=99s customary to say just two words=
 before
> storming off in a cloud of smoke and crashing gears. Those words? Thank y=
ou
> is the customary in England and a few other places too.
>
> Sproutpicker!
>
> Jonmac
>

> Bessie Braddock: =E2=80=9CWinston! You=E2=80=99re drunk=E2=80=9D.
> Churchill: =E2=80=9Cand you, Madam, are ugly. But tomorrow, I shall be so=
ber but
> you will still be ugly=E2=80=9D.
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **

> http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/grglmn@gmail.com

--0000000000007c769d05aead80cc

 thought all englishmen were polite and we got the short end of the stick n=
ot getting the Petrol Injection cars.=C2=A0 You did the right thing, even i=
v dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Sep 6, 2020, 6:16 PM John Macart=
ney &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:John.Macartney@ukpips.org.uk";>John.Macartney@ukpi=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I think =
it=E2=80=99s unlikely this owner is on this list - but just in case, this i=
s for him.<br>
Remember yesterday on the A46 near Bidford on Avon? I was the bloke in the =
black Volvo C70=C2=A0 convertible who took pity on you stranded at the road=
side with a=C2=A0 fuel=C2=A0 metering unit whose timing was out of whack. S=
ome things for you to remember for future reference:<br>
1. I stopped to offer you help out of kindness and curiosity. No emergency =
mechanic will understand the Lucas injection system fitted on your TR6. I d=
o, having worked on many cars with that equipment when new and I=E2=80=99ve=
 owned three myself.<br>
2. If you choose to drive a classic car, One jack without a handle, no whee=
lnut spanner at all and a sloppy adjustable spanner does NOT represent a to=
olkit! Wasn=E2=80=99t it handy that mine was available?<br>
3. If you paid =C2=A330,000 for that car, the seller saw you coming. The en=
gine needs a major rebuild from the racket it makes at idle, the electrics =
look positively dangerous and the fuel pump is over-fuelling the metering u=
nit. What I did at the roadside in re-timing your metering unit to squirt t=
he correct pipe at least got you running on all six, albeit not smoothly bu=
t enough to get you home.<br>
4. I hope you enjoyed the lunch you never stopped telling me you were likel=
y to miss as I worked on your car and...<br>
5. If anyone else ever stops to help you at the roadside when they had no n=
eed to themselves, remember it=E2=80=99s customary to say just two words be=
fore storming off in a cloud of smoke and crashing gears. Those words? Than=
k you is the customary in England and a few other places too.<br>
Sproutpicker!<br>
Jonmac<br>
Bessie Braddock: =E2=80=9CWinston! You=E2=80=99re drunk=E2=80=9D.<br>
Churchill: =E2=80=9Cand you, Madam, are ugly. But tomorrow, I shall be sobe=
r but you will still be ugly=E2=80=9D.<br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nore=
ferrer">triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **<br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"; rel=3D"noreferr=