[TR] Small coolant leak - blueing the tapered surfaces

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Small coolant leak - blueing the tapered surfaces
From: aribert neumann <aribertn@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 21:59:17 -0400

--0000000000001a055505af78bc92

 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Marr <mmarr@albiontechnical.com>
To: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Cc: David Friedlander <forzion7@gmail.com>, TR3 Triumphs <
triumphs@autox.team.net>, New England Triumphs <net@newenglandtriumphs.org>
Bcc:
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 21:46:56 +0000
Subject: Re: [TR] Small coolant leak
The drain =E2=80=9Cvalve=E2=80=9D is actually a petcock. It doesn=E2=80=99t=
 have a gate and seat,
as such.  The best fix is to relap the plug to the body, using valve
grinding compound.
Mike

There is a product called Prussian Blue.  Here is a link to one mfg of it
(not the only one) :
https://www.permatex.com/products/specialized-maintenance-repair/rebuilders=
-aids/permatex-prussian-blue/
Should be available at any large industrial supply or machining supply type
of store.

I bought a 1/2 or 1 oz tube about 25 yrs ago - still have 90% of it and use
it maybe one or twice a year.  This stuff is nasty, it is infinitely
divisible, it will get all over your hands and clothing if you are not
careful.  I store my small tube in a zip lock bag and frequently I'll only
get a rubbing of blue off of the **outside** of the tube (previous sloppy
handling, hence the zip lock bag).  Put an extremely thin film (almost
translucent) on one of the two mating parts, asm and rotate a few times.
The high spot(s) should transfer over to the mating part.  Now you know how
bad the mating parts are with respect to one another.  Lap the parts as
mentioned above.  Redo the bluing to check the match.  Once the entire
surface around the water port on the cone/socket is showing faint traces of
blue, you are done lapping.  You now have a new skill and someone in the
future, at your estate sale, will have a royal mess on their hands when
they open the tube to find out what it is.

--0000000000001a055505af78bc92

---------- Forwarded message ----------<br>From:=C2=A0Michael Marr &lt;<a h=
ref=3D"mailto:mmarr@albiontechnical.com"; target=3D"_blank">mmarr@albiontech=
nical.com</a>&gt;<br>To:=C2=A0Jeff Scarbrough &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fishpla=
te@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">fishplate@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>Cc:=C2=A0Dav=
id Friedlander &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:forzion7@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">=
forzion7@gmail.com</a>&gt;, TR3 Triumphs &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@aut=
ox.team.net" target=3D"_blank">triumphs@autox.team.net</a>&gt;, New England=
 Triumphs &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:net@newenglandtriumphs.org"; target=3D"_blan=
ep 2020 21:46:56 +0000<br>Subject:=C2=A0Re: [TR] Small coolant leak<br>The
 drain =E2=80=9Cvalve=E2=80=9D is actually a petcock. It doesn=E2=80=99t ha=
ve a gate and seat,=20
as such.=C2=A0 The best fix is to relap the plug to the body, using valve=
=20
grinding compound. <br>
ian Blue.=C2=A0
Here is a link to one mfg of it (not the only one) :

=C2=A0 <a href=3D"https://www.permatex.com/products/specialized-maintenance=
-repair/rebuilders-aids/permatex-prussian-blue/">https://www.permatex.com/p=
roducts/specialized-maintenance-repair/rebuilders-aids/permatex-prussian-bl=
ue/</a>=C2=A0 Should be available at any large industrial supply or machini=
be about 25 yrs ago - still have 90% of it and use it maybe one or twice a =
year.=C2=A0 This stuff is nasty, it is infinitely divisible, it will get al=
l over your hands and clothing if you are not careful.=C2=A0 I store my sma=
ll tube in a zip lock bag and frequently I&#39;ll only get a rubbing of blu=
e off of the **outside** of the tube (previous sloppy handling, hence the z=
ip lock bag).=C2=A0 Put an extremely thin film (almost translucent) on one =
of the two mating parts, asm and rotate a few times.=C2=A0 The high spot(s)=
 should transfer over to the mating part.=C2=A0 Now you know how bad the ma=
ting parts are with respect to one another.=C2=A0 Lap the parts as mentione=
d above.=C2=A0 Redo the bluing to check the match.=C2=A0 Once the entire su=
rface around the water port on the cone/socket is showing faint traces of b=
lue, you are done lapping.=C2=A0 You now have a new skill and someone in th=

--===============2874804193197543075==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

--===============2874804193197543075==--