Re: [TR] Earls Court TR5 (CP20LO) now in USA?

To: Greg Lemon <grglmn@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Earls Court TR5 (CP20LO) now in USA?
From: John Macartney <John.Macartney@Ukpips.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2021 22:06:35 +0000
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail-D7CE667A-8CDA-4655-A0B2-665918161A08
        charset=utf-8

What many people fail to realise is that motor show cars are very different i=
n many ways to the normal production version. For a start, the paint finish r=
eceived detailed attention and were often resprayed several times to give th=
e paint a =E2=80=98deeper=E2=80=99 appearance. Engine blocks were a shiny bl=
ack, as were hoses. Body and door shut lines underwent considerable work and=
 door shuts themselves were silky smooth in operation and quiet to operate. T=
his was always difficult to achieve on the Herald, GT6 and Spitfire as closi=
ng most doors on those models mostly sounded like putting the lid on an empt=
y trash can. Every night after show closure, the carpets, seats and door car=
ds in all cars were exchanged for new ones and any faults or problems report=
ed to the Stand Manager during the day were rectified. Knobs, switches, lens=
es that had been stolen or damaged through clumsy removal were also replaced=
. Leaking or non functional hydraulics were replaced as well and there=E2=80=
=99s a moral here. NEVER buy a car that has done a stint as a display vehicl=
e at a ten day motor show. It will have gone through hell in that time and E=
ngineering always studied reports of how the cars had held up during the sho=
w. Theft, attempted or actual was by no means unknown and one day a man wear=
ing a pair of white overalls was actually caught trying to remove a Herald d=
ifferential!!! It happened on a Saturday when you could hardly move on the s=
tand because of the crowds. Car =E2=80=98ride heights=E2=80=99 were often ra=
ised a little to allow for the daily punishment of people of various weights=
 collapsing into cars on a crowded stand. This did little to give seats a ge=
ntle life! Mostly, this was achieved by temporarily fitting all cars with he=
avy duty tropical suspension for the show duration. Doing this meant there w=
as nothing like the amount of =E2=80=9Cgive=E2=80=9D found in a car that was=
 conventionally sprung.

Was the motor show experience enjoyable? If you like standing on your feet f=
rom 09.00 to 22.00 without somewhere to sit down, for ten days solid in an u=
nhealthy atmosphere that gave everyone flu and talking to people who mostly b=
ored you witless and were often less than polite, eating the same outside ca=
tered lunch and no chance of a quick beer, I suppose it might have been. The=
 truth was, it wasn=E2=80=99t. We all had to wear dark, tailored three piece=
 suits (bought at our cost), starched cotton shirts with turned back cuffs a=
nd a detachable stiff shirt collar and sober tie. Shoes had to be polished l=
ike a guardsmans boots, clean finger nails, immaculately clean and parted ha=
ir and heaven help you after a day attired like that if the Stand Manager de=
tected even a tiny whiff of halitosis or sweat. Yes, I will admit we, Standa=
rd Triumph=E2=80=99s public face, looked good and perhaps we had a little vi=
rtuous pride in ourselves - but to this day, I=E2=80=99ve yet to meet any ca=
r company employee or salesman who knew as much about his/her product AND th=
e same level of detail of every other make and model of car that competed wi=
th us. To this day and well over fifty years later, I=E2=80=99m still amazed=
 how much I can still recall.

Jonmac

Vote for Guy Fawkes! The only man who entered Parliament with honest intenti=
ons.

> On 8 Mar 2021, at 19:07, Greg Lemon <grglmn@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> I don't believe the suspension was raised.  Might appear taller as TR5 tir=
es were skinnier 165, vs. 250 on wider 185/70, or just new springs riding a l=
ittle high.
>=20
> Greg Lemon
> TR250
>=20
>> On Mon, Mar 8, 2021, 12:29 PM John Linney <john@linneyweb.com> wrote:
>> Lovely car. Did they raise the ride height from the TR4 / 4A? It looks a l=
ittle high.
>>=20
>>> On Mar 8, 2021, at 9:27 AM, Don Hiscock <don.hiscock@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Friends in NL have reported that a superbly-restored TR5, the original L=
HD car from the 1967 Earls Court Motor Show premiere, has been sold to the U=
SA and is now in the midwest.
>>>=20
>>> Anybody know the car?  It's said to be a pretty special TR, and I'd prob=
ably agree.  My first car in life was a TR250, unrestorable given my budget,=
 skills, and marque support at the time.  But today -- I wish I still had it=
!
>>>=20
>>> Here=E2=80=99s the sales ad:
>>> https://www.jbclassiccars.com/?portfolio=3Dtriumph-tr5
>>>=20
>>> Note the comments about the car's original Swiss-specifications and the s=
tuff around engines.  Jonmac, this makes us smile to think about your effort=
s in this area back in the day.
cartney@ukpips.org.uk

--Apple-Mail-D7CE667A-8CDA-4655-A0B2-665918161A08
        charset=utf-8

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">What many people fail to realise is that mo=
[...]
=3D"AppleMailSignature" dir=3D"ltr">Vote for Guy Fawkes! The only man who en=
021, at 19:07, Greg Lemon &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:grglmn@gmail.com";>grglmn@gma=
"><div dir=3D"auto">I don't believe the suspension was raised.&nbsp; Might a=
ppear taller as TR5 tires were skinnier 165, vs. 250 on wider 185/70, or jus=
ail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Mar 8, 2021, 12:29 P=
M John Linney &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:john@linneyweb.com";>john@linneyweb.com</=
a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0=
 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div style=3D"word-wrap=
:break-word;line-break:after-white-space">Lovely car. Did they raise the rid=
ype=3D"cite"><div>On Mar 8, 2021, at 9:27 AM, Don Hiscock &lt;<a href=3D"mai=
lto:don.hiscock@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">don.hiscock@=
quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">Friends in NL have reported tha=
t a superbly-restored TR5, the original LHD car from the 1967 Earls Court Mo=
tor Show premiere, has been sold to the USA and is now in the midwest.</div>=
ybody know the car?&nbsp; It's said to be a pretty special TR, and I'd proba=
bly agree.&nbsp; My first car in life was a TR250, unrestorable given my bud=
get, skills, and marque support at the time.&nbsp; But today -- I wish I sti=
referrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.jbclassiccars.com/?portfo=
lio=3Dtriumph-tr5</a><br>
he comments about the car's original Swiss-specifications and the stuff arou=
nd engines.&nbsp; Jonmac, this makes us smile to think about your efforts in=
 this area back in the day.</div></div>
** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noref=
eam.net/donate.html" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">http://www.team.ne=
t/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/trium=
phs" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triu=
mphs</a> &nbsp;<a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; target=3D"_blank" rel=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/john@linneyweb.com"=
 target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/=
ref=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">=
triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **<br>
rrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>&n=
bsp; <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
s/grglmn@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://a=
utox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/grglmn@gmail.com</a><br>
ef=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **</span><=
tp://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs=
</a> &nbsp;<a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archi=
//autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/john.macartney@ukpips.org.uk">http=
://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/john.macartney@ukpips.org.uk</a><=

--Apple-Mail-D7CE667A-8CDA-4655-A0B2-665918161A08--

--===============7588449029210032149==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

--===============7588449029210032149==--