Re: [TR] TR4A IRS Suspension Question

To: Sujit Roy <triumphstag@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A IRS Suspension Question
From: John Macartney <John.Macartney@Ukpips.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 12:30:34 +0000
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail-B77DB2C7-4BD0-4D95-B1B6-6074DCED5E9E
        charset=utf-8

Someone speculated earlier today that suspension settings may have been adju=
sted when the car was in build at the factory to compensate for driver weigh=
t? Not so, I=E2=80=99m afraid. How do you compensate for a left or right wei=
ght bias when you don=E2=80=99t know in advance what that weight would be? W=
hen the cars were new and going through the water test and on the rolling ro=
ad at the end of Final Finish, it was clear for everyone to see that one sid=
e of the sat lower than the other as long as someone was in it. Over time, a=
nd especially on cars of Herald or Herald derivative suspension type, the st=
ance always adopted a marginal sag on whichever side the driver sat. That wa=
s the price you paid for such outstanding engineering:)

Jonmac

Vote for Guy Fawkes! The only man who entered Parliament with honest intenti=
ons.

> On 25 Mar 2021, at 02:22, Sujit Roy <triumphstag@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> Can the engine rotation cause one side to lean more. I've heard that about=
 Stags
>=20
>> On Wed, Mar 24, 2021, 7:14 PM David Brady <dmb993@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> When you figure this out, please let us know. I've had the same question a=
bout my TR250. In my case the steer and drive axles on the right hand side a=
re quarter inch or so higher than the left. Correct or not, I attribute this=
 to these cars being setup as RHD and Triumph tweaking the right side slight=
ly higher to attribute for pilot weight. Of course, this doesn't help things=
 on this side of the pond.

cartney@ukpips.org.uk

--Apple-Mail-B77DB2C7-4BD0-4D95-B1B6-6074DCED5E9E
        charset=utf-8

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">Someone speculated earlier today that suspe=
nsion settings may have been adjusted when the car was in build at the facto=
ry to compensate for driver weight? Not so, I=E2=80=99m afraid. How do you c=
ompensate for a left or right weight bias when you don=E2=80=99t know in adv=
ance what that weight would be? When the cars were new and going through the=
 water test and on the rolling road at the end of Final Finish, it was clear=
 for everyone to see that one side of the sat lower than the other as long a=
s someone was in it. Over time, and especially on cars of Herald or Herald d=
erivative suspension type, the stance always adopted a marginal sag on which=
ever side the driver sat. That was the price you paid for such outstanding e=
 dir=3D"ltr">Vote for Guy Fawkes! The only man who entered Parliament with h=
oy &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:triumphstag@gmail.com";>triumphstag@gmail.com</a>&gt=
"auto">Can the engine rotation cause one side to lean more. I've heard that a=
il_attr">On Wed, Mar 24, 2021, 7:14 PM David Brady &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dmb=
lass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;p=
adding-left:1ex">When you figure this out, please let us know. I've had the s=
ame question about my TR250. In my case the steer and drive axles on the rig=
ht hand side are quarter inch or so higher than the left. Correct or not, I a=
ttribute this to these cars being setup as RHD and Triumph tweaking the righ=
t side slightly higher to attribute for pilot weight. Of course, this doesn'=
t help things on this side of the pond.<br>
David Brady<br>
'68 TR250<br>
CD8124L<br>
-----Original Message-----<br>
&gt;From: Jim Henningsen &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:trguy75@gmail.com"; target=3D"=
_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">trguy75@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
&gt;Sent: Mar 23, 2021 8:06 PM<br>
&gt;To: <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"=
noreferrer">triumphs@autox.team.net</a><br>
&gt;Subject: [TR] TR4A IRS Suspension Question<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Ok, just finished redoing front and rear suspension on my 67 4A IRS.<br>=

&gt;Complete disassembly, clean, repaint, new urethane bushings, tie rod end=
s,<br>
&gt;trunnions, etc.&nbsp; New comp springs ( 1 inch lower) all corners, new s=
tock<br>
&gt;tubes shocks up front and new KYB gas shocks on the tube shock conversio=
n<br>
&gt;brackets for the IRS.&nbsp; Reinstalled all alignment shims as installed=
 as the<br>
&gt;car drove pretty straight.&nbsp; Urethane packings on springs. <br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;After completing, I noticed that all four corners have a slightly differ=
ent<br>
&gt;ride height when measured from garage floor to bottom on fender lip at<b=
r>
&gt;center of each wheel.&nbsp; Left front: 26 3/4 inches, Right front: 26 1=
/4, Left<br>
&gt;rear: 27 3/8, right rear: 27 7/8.&nbsp; I think the higher rear height i=
s coming<br>
&gt;from the tube shock conversion as it was lower with the levers.&nbsp; &n=
bsp; So about<br>
&gt;a half inch off each side.&nbsp; &nbsp;I don't recall having this issue w=
hen I redid<br>
&gt;my TR6, but that was a while ago.&nbsp; &nbsp;Rears also have stock trai=
ling arm<br>
&gt;brackets (one and two notch brackets on each side - believe these are<br=

&gt;original from new given history of the car).&nbsp; <br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Looking for help on next steps before bringing it in for an alignment.&n=
bsp; Will<br>
&gt;alignment correct height difference or do I need to add 1/2 inch spacers=
 on<br>
&gt;lower sides.&nbsp; I am going to put uprated valved levers back on rear t=
o<br>
&gt;eliminate the extra height in rear.&nbsp; <br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Any help appreciated.&nbsp; &nbsp;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Thanks<br>
&gt;Jim Henningsen<br>
&gt;Ocala FL<br>
&gt;Too many TRs to maintain!<br>
&gt;61 3A<br>
&gt;62 4<br>
&gt;67 4A<br>
&gt;75 6<br>
&gt;81 8<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"n=
oreferrer">triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer no=
referrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt;Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"; rel=3D"noref=
errer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</=
a>&nbsp; <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tri=
umphs/dmb993@earthlink.net" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/dmb993@earthlink.net</a><br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noref=
errer">triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **<br>
rrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>&n=
bsp; <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
s/triumphstag@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/triumphstag@gmail.com</a><br>
ef=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **</span><=
tp://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs=
</a> &nbsp;<a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archi=
//autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/john.macartney@ukpips.org.uk">http=
://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/john.macartney@ukpips.org.uk</a><=

--Apple-Mail-B77DB2C7-4BD0-4D95-B1B6-6074DCED5E9E--

--===============9046305818598014392==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

--===============9046305818598014392==--