Re: [TR] Advice on high compression head

To: Greg Lemon <grglmn@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Advice on high compression head
From: DAVE HOGYE <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 16:09:57 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

------=_Part_187442_886552694.1617836997468

Greg made an excellent suggestion.  You can relieve or bevel the edge next =
to the squish area a lot, if it isn't already.  Basically back to the facto=
ry shape before the milling and then some. =20
I took .125" off my head for racing and got around 10.8 compression after c=
hamber work, and my car will run on 91 pump gas after retarding the timing =
2 degrees.  I mix pump gas and race fuel 50:50 when on track.  I keep race =
gas at home and a gallon or two mixed with pump gas settles any concern abo=
ut detonation with no retarding of the timing for street.
You can see my head work on my restoration and race car build Youtube video=
, starting around 7:50 in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DUW-cSGzyKXs&t=3D3s
Dave H.=20

>     On 04/07/2021 3:39 PM Greg Lemon <grglmn@gmail.com> wrote:
>     =20
>     =20
>     If you want to save the head you may be able to lower the compression=
 ratio a bit by reshaping the combustion chamber.  This is theoretically, I=
 don't know how much can be removed, Kastner book would be a starting point=
, but you would probably want to take out more than that, measure combustio=
n chamber size, etc.
>=20
>     On Wed, Apr 7, 2021, 5:23 PM Dave Connitt < dconnitt@fuse.net mailto:=
dconnitt@fuse.net > wrote:
>=20
>         > >         Hi Cliff,
> >         A lot of racers have milled the heads of wet liner engines to i=
ncrease compression. In Kas Kastner=E2=80=99s TR4/TR4A competition preparat=
ion manual, he goes into much detail about how to reshape the combustion ch=
ambers in the head to reduce/eliminate =E2=80=9Chot spots=E2=80=9D. This ma=
y be the cause of your pre-ignition. Yoy may want to get that book and read=
 over his cylinder head chapter. Regarding the push rod length, the length =
reduction is directly related to how much material is removed from the head=
 so just buying shortened pushrods won=E2=80=99t get you the best results. =
I think you should figure out how much material was removed from the =E2=80=
=9Cstock=E2=80=9D head and shorten the pushrods accordingly.=20
> >         I think you can certainly save the head but you will need to do=
 some homework reading over Kas=E2=80=99s competition prep manual and find =
a good automotive machinist for the pushrods.
y@cs.com mailto:dave1massey@cs.com > wrote:
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > >         > >=20
> >             > > >             I went the band-aid route on my TR3 for t=
he same reason.  But the right way is to get a machinist to shorten the pus=
hrods.  BPNW sells short rods for the TR6/SC engine but at that time they d=
idn't have any for the wet-sleeve engine.
> > >             =20
> > >             Dave
> > >=20
> > >             =20
> > >             =20
 4A cylinder head=E2=80=9D has developed a new plot twist.
> > >             =20
> > >             The head, after cleanup, measures 3.21=E2=80=9D from bott=
om to the surface for the valve cover gasket. Stock is 3.330 (if I got the =
number correctly). Some PO cut 0.11 off, because only 0.010=E2=80=9D was re=
moved in this round of clean up. Now I can see an explanation for the persi=
stent pinging I=E2=80=99ve dealt with over the last few years (head has bee=
n milled so compression is high, material near intake valves has been thinn=
ed, increasing likelihood of hot spots =E2=80=93 I=E2=80=99m getting this f=
rom Kastner=E2=80=99s preparation book), which I had thought was due to lea=
king intakes, carb shafts, or operating at higher altitude.
> > >             =20
> > >             As is, I can=E2=80=99t use this head because there is not=
 enough slack in the valve train to give 0.010=E2=80=9D clearance on severa=
l valves. I didn=E2=80=99t notice before, but now that I am looking, all th=
e valve adjusters were nearly backed out all the way.
> > >             =20
> > >             Looking for advice from the list: is there any reasonable=
 way to use this head?
> > >             - I=E2=80=99d prefer to reduce compression but don=E2=80=
=99t see any reasonable way to accomplish that. I called GasketWorks and he=
 gently discouraged me from getting a custom thick head gasket, saying inst=
ead I=E2=80=99d be better off finding a head which had not been milled so m=
uch.
> > >              - Shimming the rocker pedestals to get valve clearance f=
eels like a bandaid which certainly won=E2=80=99t address the pinging (assu=
ming that the pinging is a result of the shortened head).
w.team.net/pipermail/triumphs http://www.team.net/archive
> > >=20
> > >             Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options=
/triumphs/dave1massey@cs.com
> > >             ** triumphs@autox.team.net mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net=
 **
> > >=20
> > >             Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> > >             Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs   http://=
www.team.net/archive
> > >=20
> > >             Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options=
/triumphs/dconnitt@fuse.net
> > >=20
> > >         > >         ** triumphs@autox.team.net mailto:triumphs@autox.=
team.net **
> >=20
> >         Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> >         Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.tea=
m.net/archive
> >=20
> >         Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/trium=
phs/grglmn@gmail.com
> >=20
> >     >     ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
>=20
>     Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>     Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs http://www.team.net/a=
rchive
>=20
>     Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/dl=
hogye@comcast.net
>=20

------=_Part_187442_886552694.1617836997468

<!doctype html>
 <head>=20
 </head>
olor: #333333;">
cellent suggestion.&nbsp; You can relieve or bevel the edge next to the squ=
ish area a lot, if it isn't already.&nbsp; Basically back to the factory sh=
ape before the milling and then some.&nbsp;&nbsp;</span>
olor: #333333;">
f my head for racing and got around 10.8 compression after chamber work, an=
d my car will run on 91 pump gas after retarding the timing 2 degrees.&nbsp=
; I mix pump gas and race fuel 50:50 when on track.&nbsp; I keep race gas a=
t home and a gallon or two mixed with pump gas settles any concern about de=
tonation with no retarding of the timing for street.</span>
olor: #333333;">
head work on my restoration and race car build Youtube video, starting arou=
nd 7:50 in the video.</span>
olor: #333333;">
s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DUW-cSGzyKXs&amp;t=3D3s">https://www.youtube.c=
om/watch?v=3DUW-cSGzyKXs&amp;t=3D3s</a></span>
olor: #333333;">
span>
    On 04/07/2021 3:39 PM Greg Lemon &lt;grglmn@gmail.com&gt; wrote:
    &nbsp;
    &nbsp;
    If you want to save the head you may be able to lower the compression r=
atio a bit by reshaping the combustion chamber.&nbsp; This is theoretically=
, I don't know how much can be removed, Kastner book would be a starting po=
int, but you would probably want to take out more than that, measure combus=
tion chamber size, etc.
     On Wed, Apr 7, 2021, 5:23 PM Dave Connitt &lt;
      Hi Cliff,=20
       A lot of racers have milled the heads of wet liner engines to increa=
se compression. In Kas Kastner=E2=80=99s TR4/TR4A competition preparation m=
anual, he goes into much detail about how to reshape the combustion chamber=
s in the head to reduce/eliminate =E2=80=9Chot spots=E2=80=9D. This may be =
the cause of your pre-ignition. Yoy may want to get that book and read over=
 his cylinder head chapter. Regarding the push rod length, the length reduc=
tion is directly related to how much material is removed from the head so j=
ust buying shortened pushrods won=E2=80=99t get you the best results. I thi=
nk you should figure out how much material was removed from the =E2=80=9Cst=
ock=E2=80=9D head and shorten the pushrods accordingly.&nbsp;
       I think you can certainly save the head but you will need to do some=
 homework reading over Kas=E2=80=99s competition prep manual and find a goo=
d automotive machinist for the pushrods.
       Dave Connitt&nbsp;
        Sent from my iPhone
         On Apr 7, 2021, at 5:41 PM, DAVID MASSEY &lt;
pener">dave1massey@cs.com</a>&gt; wrote:
">=20
my TR3 for the same reason.&nbsp; But the right way is to get a machinist t=
o shorten the pushrods.&nbsp; BPNW sells short rods for the TR6/SC engine b=
ut at that time they didn't have any for the wet-sleeve engine.</span>
           &nbsp;
           &nbsp;
           &nbsp;
r: black;">
l;">-----Original Message-----<br>From: Cliff Hansen &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:=
cliff_hansen@outlook.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">cliff_hansen@o=
utlook.com</a>&gt;<br>To: list Triumph &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox=
.team.net" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">triumphs@autox.team.net</a>&g=
t;<br>Sent: Wed, Apr 7, 2021 4:23 pm<br>Subject: [TR] Advice on high compre=
[...]
               &nbsp;- Shimming the rocker pedestals to get valve clearance=
 feels like a bandaid which certainly won=E2=80=99t address the pinging (as=
suming that the pinging is a result of the shortened head).
               &nbsp;
               Would appreciate any advice on the way forward.
               &nbsp;
               Cliff
               &nbsp;
               Sent from=20
 target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener"> Mail</a> for Windows 10
               &nbsp;
autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">triumphs@autox.team.net<=
/a> **<br><br>Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; target=3D=
"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <=